Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do they still make the power seat transmission for the 96 SS. I took the car in for new seat foam, and now the front portion of the seat does not go up/down...... So I'm figuring it's the Power Seat transmission.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Folks selling complete track assemblies on ebay,last I checked. Or,try your local salvage yard/pick-n-pull....

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Do they still make the power seat transmission for the 96 SS. I took the car in for new seat foam, and now the front portion of the seat does not go up/down...... So I'm figuring it's the Power Seat transmission.
Never heard of the term "PS Transmission" used before to describe the PS Rail or Track. As 1Slow eluded to, are we talking about the Power seat Rail?

If so, you can usually pick those up used for $20 - $50 and swap the entire rail. They really only consist of the rail, a few gears, a few cables and 3 motors for Height, Fwd/Back and Tilt. Replacement Motors are available from some sources if you look for them.

Having recently replaced my seat sliders which are in the Rail, I took apart the 2 halves by removing the Cables from the motors and taking the rail apart. If a motor was bad, I guess you could replace it and the motors on other model GM cars can also be swapped if you have an extra seat rail laying around. In this link, there is a picture of the seat Rail and you can see the motors and cables I'm referring to.

GRAIL - Bonneville Seat Install

Hope this helps but still not 100% sure if this is what you mean by PS transmission.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
40 years ago, I thought we called them PS transmissions. But I'm out of the industry for 35 years.

The only direction that does not work is the front switch. Are there 3 motors? or one assembly ??

GM part #16607941 is $400 on ebay. That's ridiculous

Do I just need to replace one motor???

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
40 years ago, I thought we called them PS transmissions. But I'm out of the industry for 35 years.

The only direction that does not work is the front switch. Are there 3 motors? or one assembly ??

GM part #16607941 is $400 on ebay. That's ridiculous

Do I just need to replace one motor???
Damn!...$400 That part number looks like its just the 3 motors and the mount bracket. More cost effective approach would be to pickup the entire rail used as 1Slow mentioned.

As I indicated earlier, 3 motors is all there are. Just google "GM 16607941" and you'll see pics along with pics of the rail in the Bonneville Seat thread posted earlier.

Did you check the wiring and/or apply power directly to the motors to test them? It is possible you just have a bad switch or contact along with a wiring issue not sending the signal from the Door switch over to the Seat Rail. If the motor is bad and you have some aversion to replacing the entire rail, individual PS Motors are available for replacement. These I believe are riveted to the bracket and would have to be drilled to be removed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts