Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Years ago, there was a write up on installing a power steering cooler. With all the hardware needed, clamps, screws, etc.

Now the web link is broken. Is there a writeup available on the www, or in an archive somewhere ?

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
There are several ways to do it depending on what cooler you get and where you mount it.

You then either buy a piece of hard line with fittings already on it that are the same size as the fittings on cooler and cut that hard line in 1/2 (or whatever lengths you need) and bend it as needed with a tube bender then use the right size hose clamps to splice it into the rubber sections of the stock PS high pressure & return lines

I bought a 4' piece of hard line (3/8" IIRC) at NAPA and just bent it to attach to what was my external tranny cooler when my car was a auto (now T56) so you can do similar based on whatever cooler type/size you buy and where you decide to mount it. If you don't have a external oil cooler on the opposite side as your tranny cooler you can mount the PS cooler there for example

Pic of my PS cooler hard line I made up after first using coat hanger to make a pattern. Used Fuel Injector clamps for hard to soft line connection. Got those at Autozone

Attachments

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was talking about the chessy 9C1 cooler, which I brought years ago, and never installed it...

There was an extensive writeup on installing it.

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
I was talking about the chessy 9C1 cooler, which I brought years ago, and never installed it...

There was an extensive writeup on installing it.
...that is pretty basic, here are the cliff notes. Remove old return line and replace with the "9C1" line.....only difference is you use two line clamps to secure it to the lower radiator core support.

One end goes to the steering box (flared threaded fitting) and the other end (hose) goes to the PS reservoir

Way back when I did mine before a real PS cooler I can't remember if the line clamps came with the 9C1 line but if not I just bought them at Home Depot. 3/8" IIRC. I used the ones with the rubber on them. Use whatever size small bolt to secure to the radiator core support. The holes are already there.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
The imp ss technical archives has the info you need....

Impala SS Technical Archives

This is the one I did years ago. I just bought the 9c1 return hose from advance or autozone and it was only $10 more than the standard return hose. I also used the rubber hose portion which goes to the reservoir to splice in a Magnapure filter. I think I got pics somewhere but the rad support already has the provision for the 2 clamps. I got the clamps at the dealer but just used some stainless HW to fasten it together.

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
Every link on that page is DEAD.
Yeah, the "links" don't work but the info is there.

You just have to scroll thru the page almost like a PDF file.

Here's the cut n paste...

Installing the SEO Power Steering Cooler

Advantages

Keeps the power steering fluid cooler than the just the stock unit, which is a good thing, especially if you autocross you beast.
Disadvantages

Additional hose routing needed, blocks some flow to the radiator.
Parts Required:

1 Pipe Assembly, (GM P/N 26036034), $???
2 Clamp-Lo (GM P/N 2091638), $???
10 pack of bolts, (GM P/N 11509363), $???
2 Nut, RR BP, (GM P/N 12337917), $???
32 oz of GM Power Steering Fluid
Total cost is around $50.
Tools Needed:

10mm wrench
8mm wrench
Floor Jack
Creeper or something else to lay on underneath the car
Procedure (from Basim Jaber):

Park the car, place blocks at rear tires, and set the parking brake.
Siphon, pump, or drain the power steering fluid from the reservoir.
Detach the reservoir from the bracket (it slides up), and detach the fluid line from the reservoir. This is the one closest to the front of the car. Save all of the protective sheething for reuse later!
Tape up the end of fluid reservoir line to avoid spillage
Jack up car and remove the clips that hold the two power steering lines. Tthey are under the motor along the frame cross member.
Slide the plastic steering shaft cover off of the power steering fitting and unhook the two fittings from the power steering gear. Beware: this is a knucklebuster job! Use an 18mm wrench here, and watch out for draining fluid. Unhook the forward one first.
Remove the power steering line in question that is to be replaced with SEO 7L9 tube assembly.
Insert the tube assembly. The RH side goes under the coolant hose, and the LH side goes underneath (or possibly between, if it will fit) the oil cooler lines. Getting the RH side underneath the coolant hose will be snug, so hang in there.
Hook up the cooler hose line to the reservoir using the stock clamp, and slide the reservoir back onto the bracket.
Install the screws that hold the tube to the radiator frame housing using a 10mm wrench. Tighten them later, after fitting everything else, especially the cooler fitting to the power steering gear.
Install the SEO cooler fitting to the power steering gear and tighten well. Note that if you take off the left wheel, there's more clearance to get a wrench in there from the side.
Slide the plastic shaft cover back over the fitting.
Install the stock inflow line back into the power steering gear and tighten well.
Fill the reservoir with new fluid. Fill until the "C" mark (full cold) on reservoir cap is reached.
With cap off reservoir, turn the wheels lock to lock 40 times.
Lower car to ground, and check that fluid level is still at "C". Add if necessary
Start the car, and turn the wheels lock to lock for two minutes.
Check the fluid again, and add as necessary.
Replace the fluid reservoir cap.
The hardest part of this mod is disconnecting/connecting the fittings to the p/s gear unit. There isn't much hand room and the wrench can only turn about a 1/8th of a turn in either direction. Consult the service manual for the standard precautions and more information on this mod.
Back to the index...

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks straight forward.

Where is the best place to cut in the filter ?
I brought a small in-line filter.

The 9C1 cooler tube has a small section of rubber hose at the end. Is that where you guys cut the filter in ?

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
Never liked those. Installed a automotive style spin-on P/S fluid filter,and mount on driver's side frame rail.

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
Looks straight forward.

Where is the best place to cut in the filter ?
I brought a small in-line filter.

The 9C1 cooler tube has a small section of rubber hose at the end. Is that where you guys cut the filter in ?
That's where I installed mine since the rest of the line is steel and did not want to cut into that. this old thread has pics of what i did and the filter i got....

https://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/34-engine-problems-maintenance/332538-power-steering-filter.html

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
Never liked those. Installed a automotive style spin-on P/S fluid filter,and mount on driver's side frame rail.
Can you tell us what it is that you're running. I have looked at the inline type but I'm leaning toward using AN lines. A picture is worth a 1000 words. Thanks.

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
No photo of that specifically,but once one installs a 16mm to AN-06 adapter into the steering box return port. The rest is pretty straight forward. I went to the WIX site to select a filter for P/S fluid w/o the anti drain-back valve compatible with threads of filter mount. Big advantage in addition to the increased fluid capacity is should filter become clogged,it will bypass...

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
1slow, Thanks. Now this made me think of another post you had made about the transmission filter. Were those WIX also and what should one look for there? The remote adapters should take a PH8 type filter? Thanks again. This is very informative.

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
Most use "Ford" thread,but there are PermaCool mounts that have "Chevy" threads. My trans filter mounts have the 2qt. filters formerly on Chevy big blocks. The WIX site allows one to select filter starting with thread pitch of the mount(s). The mounts on my C/K truck are Ford threaded. The trans,and P/S filter are best without an anti-drainback valve which tend to drive up heat... The spec sheet on WIX site lists the dimensions,and fluid type also...

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
1slow,
Thanks again. I think I have it now. You've been a great help here.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rock Auto has the little hose again.
I thought Gates stopped making them, but it was on RA last week.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts