Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the stock 9C1 power steering cooler blows, since I am installing the T56, can convert the old tranny cooler to a power steering fluid cooler? If so, where would be the best place to cut the lines? Should I flare the ends of all lines I cut and put some plumbing fittings and then put braided steel in to connect the cooler to the power steering lines or what?

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am planing on doing this also. I belive that Chuck Spera did this when he did his 6 speed swap. I think if you use an fittings you shouldn't have to worry about leaks.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tully, if you do it before me, can you post some pics of where you decided to cut the PS lines and also the tranny cooler lines?

If I do it before you I will do the same. I figure there has gotta be a good spot to cut the lines and splice the tranny cooler in, or in my case, replace the 9C1 POS cooler with my tranny cooler. I think the stock location of the cooler is a good spot for it.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For cars without the SEQ Pwr steering (PS) cooler easiest would be to cut the metal Tranny lines long and bend & flare the lines so you can splice into the power steering return line. Both the tranny and PS line run real close to each other near cross frame by the oil pan.

For 9C1 cars I would cut tranny lines long but near the radiator. Bend and flare the lines so you can splice into the rubber the going up to the PS reservior.

The only thing about both these ideas is that the PS fluid is be route through both the radiator and external cooler.

Good luck

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does the tranny fluid on my 9C1 go through the radiator, I never knew that. What if I cap it off at the radiator and just connect directly the external cooler to the power steering?

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just bringing this back to the top to see if anyone has converted the tranny cooler into a power steering cooler. I was boiling mine yesterday while on the road course at BIR. :( (BTW, The 3.1 mile track was awesome. I put on over 80 miles and could have easily done twice that if I wasn't boiling the power steering fluid!)

I had planned on doing this eventually, but now that I know the fluid cooks and soaks into the hood liner...I gotta do something.

The return line should be a lower pressure, so if I use that line are AN fittings necessary? I was thinking of just double clamping the connection to the cooler hard lines, bypassing the radiator.

If anyone has done this or has any ideas, please share. :D

Thanks,
Randy

[ 08-07-2002: Message edited by: ZimRandy ]

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Double-clamping would be fine.

That said, the one mod that I did that pretty much eliminated my PS overheat problems was an underdrive pulley (I used the MBA one with the alternator overdrive). Slowing down the PS pump made a BIG difference, and now I can go road course hot lapping without so much as a trace of fluid boiling out of the cap!

Because of this, I removed the tranny cooler completely as well as the "brace" that holds it. This does a lot to clean up the look of the car in front of the radiator...

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AutocroSSer:
Double-clamping would be fine.

That said, the one mod that I did that pretty much eliminated my PS overheat problems was an underdrive pulley (I used the MBA one with the alternator overdrive). Slowing down the PS pump made a BIG difference, and now I can go road course hot lapping without so much as a trace of fluid boiling out of the cap!

Because of this, I removed the tranny cooler completely as well as the "brace" that holds it. This does a lot to clean up the look of the car in front of the radiator...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Ed! I will look into the MBA pulley. The "look" of the front end isn't a big issue because I am using the SEO external oil cooler, so it actually looks symmetrical. ;) I think using the tranny cooler (used for power steering fluid) and an underdrive pulley should solve my problem. :D

Did I mention that I had a blast? :D Look for another post when the pictures and videos get uploaded. ;)

Thanks again, Ed.

Randy

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll admit I haven't done it yet. The tranny cooler is still there, and the lines are cut, the rubber lines are practically hanging right out over the SEO power steerign cooler. I want to clean out the tranny cooler before I do anything and then

I need to know if it is bad for the PS fluid to go through the radiator too, will this make it too hot?

I don't know what a normal temp is for PS fluid. I figure if I can know that for sure that it will be ok going through the radiator, and that I can clean the cooler out somehow (to make sure there is no ATF or any junk in there from the blown 4L60-E), I'm just going to cut the SEO power steerign cooler hard lines right where the tranny cooler old rubber lines cross it, and then just put the rubber lines over the steel lines and double clamp them, then I'll flush the power steering fluid through and bleed the whole system out. I'm not looking forward to sitting there with the front end up on jackstands turning the wheel back and forth like 50 times, but if its what I've gotta do, I'll do it.

Whats the best way to flush the system?

Maybe this will help my pump live longer than the pump in the old car did. It doesn't make any noise, which is a good thing. I don't know if double clamping will hold both of the hoses, but I think it would, I don't know how much pressure goes trough the SEO cooler now to begin with.

Is there any way to add a filter inline with the PS fluid, or would be a waste of time and money?

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mike keep us posted on your progress. ;) I was planning on bypassing the radiator and just using the cooler as a stand alone. My thinking is that the fluid running through radiator will be less efficient than just air using the cooler as a stand alone. :confused:

A filter wouldn't be a bad idea, but I really don't know if there is anything, other than moisture, that could contaminate the system. Basically, it is a hydraulic system with no wearing parts like a transmission or engine? Routine flushing would probably be a good alternative, too.

Thanks Mike,
Randy

[ 08-08-2002: Message edited by: ZimRandy ]

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Randy,

I have been through the boiling powersteering fluid problemsn and burning up the pump problem and driving the car a few hundred miles without a pump problems.

I installed an aftermarket powersteering cooler in front of the radiator and the boiling problems went away. I later put on underdrive pullies to help even more. I have not had any problems after much hard road course driving.

Mike

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, I'm gonna do it tomorrow, to clean out the cooler, I'm gonna get some kind of cheap hand pump and just flush a lot of power steering fluid through it, I don't think there is any dirt in it anyways, and I will flush out the whole PS system and put some new fluid in there and then bleed it out. Who knows how long it will take, but I assume bleeding it will be the longest step of the process. I have 2 descriptions on bleeding it. Primarily, I know to prime the pump (take the serpentine belt off and rotate the pump counter clockwise (as viewed fomr the front) until I stop seeing bubbles in the resevoir), then I have 2 different methods to go on.

One of them is to lift the car up and with the motor off, turn the wheel lock to lock 50 times, the other is lift the wheels off the ground, start the engine and run it at 1500 rpms, turn the wheel slowly from stop to stop then drop the car down and star the motor up again and drive it forward far enough to get the wheel to full lock in both directions. Which should I do. Heck, might as well do both right, I'll do the 50 times thing then start er up and run it lock to lock once at 1500 rpm's then drop it down and drive it forward lock to lock, and hopefully I'll be all set. I don't think I'll lose much fluid or get much air into the system, but better to do it right than screw up a perfectly good pump right?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, so I got stuck at work today and didn't get around to doing it. I'll try to do it tomorrow. I'm thinking maybe I should flare the ends of the lines before putting the rubber hose over them just for the heck of it, but I really don't know. I'll ask some people tomorrow and see what they think (and if they might even want to help).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts