Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing a puddle of fluid on the garage floor one day, I decided to change the power steering setup a little since I had to replace the pump. There are two things that I felt were essential on the power steering system; a filter and a cooler. So I installed both when I swapped out the pump. I bought the following parts:

Filter - R038M-P Magnefine 3/8" Magnetic Inline Power Steering Filter
Cooler - DER-13254 Transmission Cooler 3/8" inlet/outlet

I had to route the lower pressure line coming from the steering box to the far driver side of the engine compartment in order to fit everything in the area. I cut the line just below the driver side fan and then used a bender to get it where I needed it.

I have a bead tool by Imperial that places beads on lines. Its great for stuff like this:

I used 90 degree brackets to mount the cooler. I ended up welding them together to ensure longevity.

I let the filter float between the cooler and the hardline that I fabricated that replaces a section of the rubber hose. I used rubber hose to help protect it against chaffing. Filter not shown below.

I hope this generates some creativity in finding solutions to some of the common problems in our PS system; Heat and Dirt.

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
Looks good and I like/want that bead tool. :) I've done similar work in the past and just used a slight flare on the end of the tube. That Bead Tool is the "fashizzel" way to do it and I may need to look at getting one too.

For a cooler, I just added the 9C1 Return Line/Cooler that is a GM Bolt-on part. But compared to what you have for a cooler, it is just a Zig-Zag tube and most likely does not cool as well as yours.

For a filter, I chose this small unit since it was easy to splice into the Return Hose due to its size and can also be taken apart and cleaned.

·
Registered
8,484 Posts
. :) I've done similar work in the past and just used a slight flare on the end of the tube. That Bead Tool is the "fashizzel" way to do it and I may need to look at getting one too.

QUOTE]

yes that tool is what I would like to have also. Like you I just flared the ends. I have a cheap Harbor Freight tube bender & their flare tool

I used 3/8" fuel line clamps on mine. Pic below (I added a 2nd clamp on each one after pic was taken)

IMHO adding some form of cooler to PS is better.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,799 Posts
Hmm... I do like the "bead-tool" as well. I installed an automotive spin-on style filter mount,and additional cooler (to the 9C1 style) in front of the radiator.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Additional Information

My dad was in the Air Force where he specialized in aircraft hydraulic systems. When he passed away I found myself with his car and some of his specialized tooling. The bead tools are actually made by Parker. Below are a few photos of the different size tools:

Here are a couple more photos of the filter installed and the loop that goes into the cooler:

Let me know if you guys have any other questions.

Sean

1 - 6 of 6 Posts