Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
96 SS, leaking azz power steering pump. Ok, I get the unit out pretty fast, quicker then expected, maybe 30 min. I did not have to remove any rad hoses either. Just unbolted the little bracket from alt that holds the two heater core hoses. Took Alt off, then pulled up the PS unit out a little so the back pressure line was easy to remove then just worked her thru the heater hoses, not a problem there at all.
The line looks good, the black O-ring on the pump end of line looked a little ate up but before I took unit off I did look at the back end of pump, none of the lines into it seems to be the issue, pretty dry nothing to say it was soaking that area at the least. Is there a seal in front of pump at pulley?
I don't think I need to replace the line, can I just get the two O-rings on the line, at pump and at box? And what is that switch for that is part of the line??
Anyone having PS unit issues and want to replace it yourself, this job is pretty easy. If I can do it, anyone can with time and the right tools. Just unbolt the bracket holding the PS unit, 4 bolts I think, one is sorta hidden at the bottom right, move unit a little frwrd, remove lines, then slide it out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone???? I look at the lines on Rockauto and none look like my pressure line that has that wire/switch connection in it closer to the steering box then PS unit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it does show a power steering pressure switch. Does that go in the line?? Can you run a line with out that??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well I looked around ebay and napa and rockauto, seems I have found everything I will need, all new hoses, pump, looking around 120.00

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
sounds like you got it handled.
yes there is a seal at the pump shaft and the ps switch cuts out the ac compressor when turning at low speed/rpm so the engine doesnt stall.

·
Registered
8,571 Posts
Good to know. So, it you figured that out I'm positive the dealers have too. And, when they charged me 4 hours book for the job it likely didn't take them near that long.

Good to know. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts