Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, the LT1 Jag needs the power steering hose from the reservoir to the pump. It's approximately 5/8" (I have PART of the old one), but my reservoir and pump aren't in exactly the same relationship as a stocker, so I need some bulk hose that'll work - even a new/used hose from a b-body won't work. It's not the pressure hose, but it's still got to be rated for P/S fluid, right? Can't run that through heater hose, I'd think. I went to several auto parts stores, and got blank stares when looking for 5/8" bulk P/S hose. What say ye? Contact an industrial hose shop? I dunno.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I used heater hose to replace mine but it gets really soft and swells up after a little while. Maybe try some -10 AN hose.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do not use heater/oil/trans/air/vac. hose for a P/S line, it will either swell shut or will dry out and break causing leaks even though it is not the pressure line!!!

Most all of your parts stores(Checker/Schuck's/Kragen/Advance/NAPA) have bulk P/S specific return line available for $1.30+ a ft.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by VIN Guy's Alter Ego:
Ok, the LT1 Jag needs the power steering hose from the reservoir to the pump. It's approximately 5/8" (I have PART of the old one), but my reservoir and pump aren't in exactly the same relationship as a stocker, so I need some bulk hose that'll work - even a new/used hose from a b-body won't work. It's not the pressure hose, but it's still got to be rated for P/S fluid, right? Can't run that through heater hose, I'd think. I went to several auto parts stores, and got blank stares when looking for 5/8" bulk P/S hose. What say ye? Contact an industrial hose shop? I dunno.
If you are getting that response from a Checker/Schuck's/Kragen/Advance/NAPA, ask to talk to the Manager as all of those stores generally keep the bulk specialty hose, behind the counter/in the back room. Most of the lacky little idiot either don't know about it or are too lazy to go and get it(I know I used to work with afew of them :mad: )

Also make sure to check the hose to make sure they didn't make a mistake and grabbed the wrong type. All specialty hoses are required to be maked for their specific use.. If it doesn't say, then don't use it as chances are it is standard bulk..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by 95wagon:
How abouts Gates 4219G ?
In 5/8" it can pull 10 inches vacuum and hold 35 psi.
Working temp to 257.

Gerry
4219G is a good hose, but I would check with Gates before using it for P/S hose. Its reccomend for a Fuel vapor line and is resistant to heat/gas/oil, but it doesn't say whatelse it would be compatible with...
http://www.gatespowerpro.com/Comergent/en/US/adirect/gates?cmd=catSearchFrame&domProductQueryName=%204219G%20&returnURL=http://www.gatespowerpro.com/Comergent/en/US/adirect/gates&r eturnTarget=_top&gotoAdvSearch=false
(at the top of list)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your best bet may be a Hydraulic Line Supply/Repair Shop.
Check your local Yellow Pages. See, 'Hydraulic Equip. Repairing'.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Check Summit Catalog in the section that covers all the AN fittings and SS lines. They have a high pressure rubber hose that is a press fit to AN fittings. I used it for the return line when I installed a PS cooler. Its on there since before Hallett and I have not had any problem.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can assure you that they don't have 5/8" bulk hose that is p/s fluid compatible behind the counter. I went back there myself and looked (I'm a "frequent flyer" at the auto parts stores lately). Either bulk p/s hose just does not go up to that size, or just no one has a reason to carry any. I think I'll call some hydraulic hose shops, as suggested.

As a side note, I went to one auto parts store, and I got the 19-year-old kid with spikey hair and one of those braid necklaces with beads on it, like a cool surfer dude. I'll give anyone a chance, but this kid lived up to his look. After about 3 trips to the back (I could tell the lights were on, but nobody was home), he came out with 5/8 heater hose, already cut, when I had specifically said "heater hose won't work". He went to the back one more time, and I saw that about 3 of the other employees, all older guys, weren't busy. I said, "Hey, can you help junior see if there's any 5/8" power steering hose? I think he needs to lay off the ganja." By their looks, I had hit the nail on the head.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you have a local stock car/dirt track/roundy-round shop, they ususally cary bulk Aeroquip hose. At least the one here does. They have both braided stainless and reiforced rubber.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by VIN Guy's Alter Ego:
I can assure you that they don't have 5/8" bulk hose that is p/s fluid compatible behind the counter. I went back there myself and looked (I'm a "frequent flyer" at the auto parts stores lately). Either bulk p/s hose just does not go up to that size, or just no one has a reason to carry any. I think I'll call some hydraulic hose shops, as suggested.

As a side note, I went to one auto parts store, and I got the 19-year-old kid with spikey hair and one of those braid necklaces with beads on it, like a cool surfer dude. I'll give anyone a chance, but this kid lived up to his look. After about 3 trips to the back (I could tell the lights were on, but nobody was home), he came out with 5/8 heater hose, already cut, when I had specifically said "heater hose won't work". He went to the back one more time, and I saw that about 3 of the other employees, all older guys, weren't busy. I said, "Hey, can you help junior see if there's any 5/8" power steering hose? I think he needs to lay off the ganja." By their looks, I had hit the nail on the head.
No problem,just was speaking from experience when I worked parts. The majority of the hoses that we carried(trans/fuel/PS in 5/16-3/8-5/8), was kept behind the counter over by the reman stuff(fan motors/PS pumps & etc)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.