Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I come out to go to work this morning & notice another oil spot. I hear the ggrrrr so I get fluid, didn't think much of it cause the PS box has a bad seal. Man look by the end of the day I gotta put in 2 bottles jut to get it to the shop. We find the PS pump has a cracked body so down goes Frazier and out comes my monte. Has anyone run across this? The body just cracks with age. Weird....:mad:

·
Registered
581 Posts
Surprised no one else has responded to this yet. Well like anything made out of metal, the metal can have fatigue failures of it which leads to cracks. Also depends on where it cracked. If it cracked near the shaft, there could have been an imbalance there which lead to additional stress on the housing and caused it to cracked. Personally speaking I haven't heard of that happening before though. I would do a replacement pump. Be sure to flush the power steering lines well. Search the forums for a how to of that. - Peter

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK here's the update. AAAAAHHHHHH. The brand new power steering pump doesn't work. Get this Cadillac has discontinued the high pressure hose for the PSP, I had to have a hose made up. No, we tried the Impala hose is 2" to short. Did I say AAAAAHHHHHH. It all has to come apart tomorrow. But there is a bright side to all this, we cut 1/2 a coil out of the 80090 front springs which lowered the car 1" exactly. Looks sweet, BUT I CAN'T DRIVE MY CAR YET. Ok, I'm good now I'm breathing.....really I am

·
Registered
10,956 Posts
Gates or Edelman (Same company, Also the same as any AC delco, Autozone or Advanced auto hose, just boxed differently) do not make the hose either?

I just looked at my car, I have power steering disaster allover the back of the pump. Leaks! Its probably been like that for awhile. I hope a new pump fixes my MYSTERY fluid leak. With the age of the hoses and if desired, keeping an old car reliable, Spend the extra $50 and buy a new return and high pressure hose. They will eventually split some day.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My dude called Kristal Cadillac on Kings Highway which is the spot alot of us have used for years & they were the one's that told my guy the hose was discontinued for the Fleetwood. I'm still just shaking my head......I don't drink so Dunkin Donuts is a little low on Boston Creme's tonite....cwm8

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Houston we have power steering lol. The 2nd pump works like a charm. Mr Boojum you sir are on your game. When I checked the box to see the part number of what they got it was what you stated. Thank you sir..

·
Registered
10,956 Posts
Houston we have power steering lol. The 2nd pump works like a charm. Mr Boojum you sir are on your game. When I checked the box to see the part number of what they got it was what you stated. Thank you sir..
What brand pump did you go with?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts