Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 94 fleetwood with 170k, about 10k miles ago started this attention getting behavior....

What began as "only when warmed up" has now become an issue after a very short drive. If at a dead stop you turn the wheel quickly... you can actually see the pump pulley stop, and the belt squeals as it still goes around. Greatly increasing steering effort (go figure). If you are rolling even slightly, the problem seems to be very minimal. Revving the motor a bit doesn't change the behavior.

I have good knowledge on general automotive care. I have changed and flushed the power steering system, ensured proper belt tension, and even tried (electrically) disconnecting the solenoid on the back of the pump for what I believe to be the variable assist (which could always be stuck).

I had a slight problem at idle where the rpms would ever so slightly rev-up.... possibly like the increase in idle speed the car should have when you steer, but I wasn't steering. I may have noticed this issue (rpm at idle) change more after I made my own cold air intake and put on a set of flowmasters. I simply figured it was in need of a programming tweak (which has not been done, still on factory programming). I decided if it was a steering issue why mess with programming first.

Any ideas, I am all ears....

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
just my opinion/recent experience here...it's telling you that it's getting ready to self-destruct. had this happen to me earlier this summer. mine gave warning somewhat similar to yours. the pump shaft then broke, and no more power steering. i did drive it though [gotta muscle it some] as i was told the chances were that it would not fully affect anything else. btw, mine is a 96 caprice LT-1 with mech. & elec. fans. the upside is you will still have engine cooling capability.

good luck,
DN

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like you're pointing at the pump? Looks like it is quite a "B!tc#" to R and R. Does the pulley need to come off before i can get the pump unbolted?

Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Evo or not Evo?

Thanks.... Lets just say its not getting any better. I’ll give in and replace it. It's a project for next weekend. I was going to tackle it Sunday but my parts guys had to order the pump in. Any idea what the catalog meant EVO or not EVO? I'll go in and try to figure it out from the pictures on CarQuests computer catalogs. The car has variable assist. Anyway, I just spent last weekend at battle with my theft deterrent relay and my remote start. I won :)

Thanks

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Electric varible orifice,iirc, it varies the the effort of the steering depending if your doing 60 or in the parking lot. In your case you need the EVO one

·
Registered
991 Posts
If you need a new pwr steering pump, check these fellas:
http://lee-powersteering.com/pumps.htm

Word is it's good sh!t.
Haven't needed to replace might yet, so I have no 1st hand knowledge.
Hopefully others w/more experience will chime in here.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A new chapter.. Air in system

When I check the fluid level after driving even a short distance I am getting a "release of pressure sound" when I pop the cap on the reservoir. I then went and bleed my power steering system again...

Noise GONE!!

Drive for a bit noise back...

How do I find a leak that is letting air into the system?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.