Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I just spent most of my labor day installing a new power steering pump in my 94 Fleetwood. It was actually a pretty straightforward installation, and I figured I'd just encourage anyone who's considering it to just go ahead and DO IT.

My power steering pump had a lousy sounding growl to it, and I figured perhaps it needed new fluid /different fluid, etc. none of that worked. Also, when I bought the car two months ago, the Previous Owner included new hoses, as he said the old ones had leaked, but weren't anymore.

I did the entire job, from start to finish in about 6 hours today, and it really couldn't have gone any smoother..... the part I was most concerned about was connecting the lines at the top of the steering box, but that was no sweat, once the air pump was out of the way.

Pulling the old pulley and installing the new one was also no big deal.

The one snag I encountered that turned out to not be too big of a deal was that the pressure line fitting on the pump was not at the same angle as the old one was. Made it necessary to remove the pump I'd just installed and adjust the angle of the fitting (you'll know what I mean if you have to do this job and the hard line comes in 30 degrees different than where it's supposed to attach). Anyways, as I was up to my elbows in the project, I figured I should have taken pictures, but I didn't.

Anyways, all that to say that it really wasn't too tough of a job, and if you've been putting it off for fear of how tough it'll be... don't delay any longer. Give me a shout if you have any questions about the job.

Best part of all: now that it's done, no more power steering growl!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.