Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any idea where I can buy a new feed hose (larger of the 2)? The dealer said it was a discontinued part and I can't find it at any other part stores. Thanks, John

·
Premium Member
6,458 Posts
Lost in the data dump....I think I had some pretty good info on what to do....you're correct that the hose is gone, no longer available--PN 26034975, pre-formed hose. Gates does not have an interchange replacement for this item--perhaps another supplier does.

I actually have one new "old stock", but it's NOT available--I should find out what it takes to get some made.

Hose is "about" 0.950" OD and 0.590" ID, 0.180" wall thickness--dimensions aren't entirely accurate. It has an abrasion protection sleeve covering all but 2 - 2.5" at each end.

from Gates online info:

See Gates Power Steering Catalog 431-2140 for complete product identification and application.

Power Steering products are supplied through Edelmann at 1-800-770-4639.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I struck out with Gates and Edelmann. Anyone else? Thanks, John

·
Registered
10,975 Posts
I was going to make my own (It will look CRUDE but you can make it work) But I never got around to it. I did find out that the hose sealed poorly and I THINK made air get into the PS pump creating a nasty whine. Since I cut back the hose end to "restore it" the problem has been reduced..

IT would be neat if one of these can be re-created.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is not it. These are the pressure hoses. I need the large molded one from the reservoir to the top of the pump. Thanks for looking. Is there such a thing as a self molding hose? A rubber hose with some sort of steel insides????

·
Registered
797 Posts
I'm glad you mentioned that this hose isn't available, BUT, is it really molded? It doesn't look like it is to me? I just cannot seem to get it off of the PS pump. I got the pressure hose off using a 5/8 flare wrench, no problem. That damn low pressure hose you just cannot pull off - no room for fingers in there!!

·
Registered
10,975 Posts
I'm glad you mentioned that this hose isn't available, BUT, is it really molded? It doesn't look like it is to me? I just cannot seem to get it off of the PS pump. I got the pressure hose off using a 5/8 flare wrench, no problem. That damn low pressure hose you just cannot pull off - no room for fingers in there!!
Get behind it with a screw driver.. or get a cheapy china flat blade and bend it.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Get behind it with a screw driver.. or get a cheapy china flat blade and bend it.
Impossible! You can't get a screwdriver in that tight space, seriously. Now that someone mentioned it is not made any more, I'm damn glad I didn't slice it with the old razor blade. But hell, it does not look molded. Someone tell me it isn't.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I guess a picture of the part wouldn't convince you?
convince me no more - I'm a believer. Will try to take care and not damage the hose. There are at least 6-7 B/D-bodies in my local salvage yard, all of which have unmolested engine bays. If I screw the hose up, will go get a 'spare'!

Thanks-

·
Registered
938 Posts
this is an old thread but i' thought i'd bump it to see the final resolution of this issue..we couldnt get the hose off yesterday and so i said cut it..didnt realize how bad a mistake i made..sigh

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
> Power Steering Reservoir Hose

I use Aeroquip AN-10 "socketless" hose,and have for years. Attach reservoir end first,trim to length.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I use Aeroquip AN-10 "socketless" hose,and have for years. Attach reservoir end first,trim to length.

it does list oil and coolant as applications so yes looks like should handle PS just fine..plus your years of service no doubt are proof of that! will definitely keep this in mind.thanks.

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
Power Steering Reservoir

PS: I've also used heater hose.

·
Registered
7,999 Posts
I currently have mine off the car and will post up some pics. I'm going to re-use it. It's in pretty good shape but kind of hard for it's age.

I was looking into this issue a while back when I stuke out at the Dealer. There is a Company called Brigg's Rubber in New Castle, Del. that the Chevy Dealer directed me to. He thought that they may be able to make this up for our cars. I may look into that while I got the hose off and see if they could replicate this hose for us. If they can, i wonder how much interest there would be to make this feasable?

I'll get back with more info and pics when I get some time.

·
Registered
7,999 Posts
Bad news & some good news

Bad News - I checked with Brigg's Rubber in New Castle and this is not something they would be able to help us with. They might be able to but it would be too costly and there would be a minimum order. That is very understandable for a custom part.

Good News - I contacted Gates Hoses and explained our issue and asked if this is something that they would be willing to look at for the B & D Bodies. I got a very fast response back from Tom Trojan at Gates and they are willing to look at a sample hose and see if this is something they could do for these cars. Very fast response and the fact they would even consider this has me feeling hopeful.

Now the rub - They obviously need to have one to see if it can be done and gave me the ship info to send it to. I have my original off (I will post a pic tonight) the car now but was hoping to put the system back together within the week. I emailed him back to see how long he would need it for. I may see if I can get some time to grab another from the JY this weekend.

If not mine, is there someone out there that has one and would be willing to donate it to the cause? We have a good opportunity here to have a part made up for our cars that could benefit the whole B & D Body community and is not available anywhere. I've really tried to sell it to him cause obviously there is still a lot of these cars out there in use. Sure we may have some other options with straight heater hose and braided line, but how cool would it be to have a molded hose that fits and we helped bring to the market?

Let me know or just shoot me a PM. If you would prefer to deal directly with him on sending your part, I will make all the arrangemnets and send his info to you. Thanks all, lets see if we can get this done.

Here was the response I got.....

Hello Bob:

If you have a sample hose we could review we would be glad to do so and see if there is anything we can do for you. We will return it to you once we are able to obtain the measurements. My address is below. No promises, but we can take a look at it.

Best regards,
Tom

·
Registered
938 Posts
i'm assuming my cut hose (or taped up to the other cut part assuming i still have it) would be useless to them but after i do successfully find some kind of substitute, i wont need it for a while lol..but i do need to keep it until i can match it up at the store.

also even if they do it, no way in heck will i put it back on even if it's the orginal hose..my mechanic was swearing at it lol...no real room to work in there.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.