Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a leak by the driver side near steering column shaft for only lawd knows,hard to see exactly where due to dirt/oil. What do I need to change out the whole system. From the reservoir to the pump where-ever that is located. Somebody please help would appreciate.

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
I've had a leak by the driver side near steering column shaft for only lawd knows,hard to see exactly where due to dirt/oil. What do I need to change out the whole system. From the reservoir to the pump where-ever that is located. Somebody please help would appreciate.
possible it is the input steering column shaft seal at gear box. ..
I had to replace the input box seal on my 2000 GM truck.. kit cost $13... no PITA.

use mineral spirits not acetone brake cleaner to clean..use a brush apply the mineral spirits .. then start up engine turn the steering wheel.see where its leaking.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man Thanks J cat Appreciate bro, sounds about right I just need to see what size wrench needed to removal. Leaks every-time car is running/idle

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
Man Thanks J cat Appreciate bro, sounds about right I just need to see what size wrench needed to removal. Leaks every-time car is running/idle
on the 2000 5.3L silverado had good amount of space to replace.. seal had damage from road crap . this sand mess wore out the seal..impala has a cover so more protected .

impala does not run in the bad weather or snow ..

I also did the PS fluid change at this time..

rock auto cheap need snap ring pliers http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chevrolet,1996,impala,5.7l+v8,1049701,steering,steering+gear+input+shaft+seal,7353

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
The power steering gave up all its fluid today, and I suspect the seal at either the input or output lines. One is extremely rusty, the other is FINE. IF I have to replace an entire line - are new ones available that are actually worth buying? Of course I need to do more investigation (don't think it's the input column seal, but can't see enough yet to know for sure). And of course maybe it's just a seal. I've got a 95 Caprice Wagon. What is the big aluminum box that sits right above the steering gear? (Making it hard to see the in and out lines). I've got manuals and they're not helping.

VM

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
the aluminum box above the steering gear box is the ABS brake module..

the location is better than behind my silverado front driver side wheel.. not proper in the rust belt.

if the power steering fluid blew out bad most likely the steel lines under radiator from pump to box.

IMO remove bad line make up new line .

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
The power steering gave up all its fluid today, and I suspect the seal at either the input or output lines. One is extremely rusty, the other is FINE. IF I have to replace an entire line - are new ones available that are actually worth buying? Of course I need to do more investigation (don't think it's the input column seal, but can't see enough yet to know for sure). And of course maybe it's just a seal. I've got a 95 Caprice Wagon. What is the big aluminum box that sits right above the steering gear? (Making it hard to see the in and out lines). I've got manuals and they're not helping.

VM
Most power steering leaks are hose related. Both the Pressure and Return Hoses are still available. Attached is a link that shows the power steering circuit with the optional "S" cooler return line that was available on the Caprice 9C1 cars and can be added to the Impala if you want to get that hose for a few $ more. The impala has The return hose also mounted to the frame right next to the pressure hose and and going back up to the reservoir. There are 2 metal straps that secure the hose(s) to the frame with two 10mm bolts.

https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=367500&ukey_make=1024&ukey_model=14514&modelYear=1995&ukey_category=19404

As you can see, the fluid goes from the reservoir larger hose, down to the pump located under the alternator, out of the pump is the pressure hose going to the steering gear and then the return hose from the steering gear goes back to the smaller hose port on the reservoir.

The 2 hose fittings at the steering gear can be tough to remove and easist if you Slide the plastic cover off the end and slide it up the steering input shaft. IIRC the 2 fittings are 17 mm and 19mm but aftermarket hoses could be different metric size. I think mine were a 18mm nut and believe both hoses going into the steering gear have a rubber o-ring on the end.

The easist tool to use on the fittings are 3/8" crows foot sockets with an extension reaching down onto the fittings/crows foot. Find your leak first but most likely the pressure hose. If it's the hose, just replace them both since the other could be about ready to go as well. GL.

Edit - this is the type of sockets you want that wrap around the fitting head and grip better than the standard crows foot.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-10-pc-metric-crowfoot-flare-nut-wrench/p-00942048000P?sid=IDx01192011x202447059&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIus6ej-KM2QIVA1mGCh2NeQniEAQYAyABEgLzovD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CIWUrK_ijNkCFa67swodxGkDVQ#

If they fight you on removal, try to tighten the fitting a little first and then back it off. If that doesn't work, keep soaking it and let it sit. Worst case, just cut the line near the fitting and use a regular socket on the fittings and they'll come out.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Thanks for the info & link

Yes, I suspect the high pressure side at the gear box. Yes, I have to slide that plastic cover out of the way to make sure. Is it possible to access both lines with the ABS box in place or can I unbolt its bracket and move it a little?

Only one of the lines is super rusty, like it's original, the other may have been replaced at some time (not by me though).

Will take the advice of cleaning the area with mineral spirits to confirm source of leak. The entire wheel well on the driver's side was covered with PS fluid.

I DO have a factory manual, but it is so terse. Y'all are much better at explaining things.

:smile2:Veronica

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
I'm a big believer in removing something if it helps you get access or see better what you're doing. Helps sometimes to keep the aggravation (curse words) to a minimal. While I don't believe you need to move the ABS box, I think it's just 3 bolts on the bracket....2 on the frame and 1 on the steering gear. Remove those if you want and you can move the ABS box a little, just be careful not to bend the lines and maybe unplug the electrical connection on top and think there is a single ground wire that's kind of short....so be careful.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
There's a pin hole leak in probably the high pressure side. It's the line whose fitting was NOT surrounded by the plastic cover. Both flare nuts are totally rusted and boogered up. I thought I might solder or JB weld the hole and see if that works. I'll probably have to destroy the lines to get them off the steering gear box. What a rusted mess. Looks worse than old exhaust bolts!

So, anyway, will track down new lines, and start the penetrating oil/heating thing in hopes of getting the old fittings out. I don't think there's any way that the flare nuts will spin on those rusted lines. But if I cut them then maybe I can get vice grips on what's left of the flare nuts and spin them (and the stubs of old line) out. Otherwise it's a whole new steering gear PLUS lines. Do you think I will have to go to the dealer to get the new lines?

VM

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
so line has leak at the box... cut line of just above the fitting , then place a 6 point socket on it..may have to hammer it on ..

no 12 point sockets or 12 point box wenches .. I do have a 6pt box wench set because of this type crap..

you will have to make up the lines using the flare tool and most likely new fitting..

dealership not gonna have lines.. perhaps a scrap yard pull will work..

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
no lines available?

Seriously - I think 4doorSS thought lines were available - maybe not for my 95 caprice wagon engine setup. Yes I am familiar with the 6 point socket and wrench. Thanks for reminding me. Good plan. After I take everything off to do the opti and WP seal I should be able to attend to the lines. Argggh! I hate finding someone else's bad work. That's why I don't like anyone touching my car.

:smile2:VM

·
Registered
8,455 Posts
The pressure and return lines are available at most auto part stores or rockauto

The ones in the links above are the reservoir to pump fill hose (can be hard to find) and the return line from the steering box back to the reservoir.

The pressure line from pump to gear box is also on rockauto.

Liquid wrench for a few days on fittings. Heat if it comes to it

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Yeah, I went on Rockauto and looked at steering pump lines. I was leaning towards the Gates. I have to look more closely at mine to make sure I get ones that look the same. I'm sure the pressure line is the one that's leaking, but the other one is ugly too, so would be good to do both. As soon as I know exactly what I have I'm going to order both lines. Yes, I'll liquid wrench the fittings while I work on the opti and WP shaft seal. Should be easier to swap out PS lines when all that other stuff is out of the way.

Thanks again. Y'all are really really helpful.

VM

·
Registered
8,455 Posts
flare wrench is better for those line fittings as open end ones tend to round off the corners. Vise grips if there is enough room. Cutting the old ones and using a socket would be another alternate.

I would replace both lines and the fill hose line also which seems to be available now at RA (Gates)

Sounds like the PS system has been long time since service. You are going to lose all the PS fluid anyway so best to do a "flush" when you get the new lines on then a "bleed". Procedure for both is simple but bleeding is easier with a helper.

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
A

Lines are most definitely available and you should be able to get them at any Advance or Autozone. They are only about $20 -$30 per side and if you look up the return hose for a 9c1 (cop car) you could add the cooler feature. I did that hose (it was about $5 more) when replacing the steering gear and there is a thread on what other misc HArdware you need to get it install the 9c1 return hose. If you stick with the regular return hose they are also available too.

Do not trust using JB weld to fix the hose. Just replace them and have 1 last thing to worry about or leave you stranded.

Sorry, pressure hose is a little more than I thought at $36....

https://www.autozone.com/suspension-steering-tire-and-wheel/power-steering-pressure-line-hose/duralast-power-steering-pressure-line-hose/128586_0_0

Std return hose is $19 and 9c1 cooler return hose is $30....

https://www.autozone.com/suspension-steering-tire-and-wheel/power-steering-return-hose?filterByKeyWord=power+steering&fromString=search&isIgnoreVehicle=false&model=Power

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
pressure switch assembly & more

OK. I'm looking at my power steering lines and the one that's leaking has the pressure switch assembly. The factory manual says "remove or disconnect". How? Unscrew? I'm assuming that if I buy the correct replacement hose there will be a place to re-connect said pressure switch (?).

And what do I need to remove to get to the PS pump. The manual says remove the heater hose assembly at WP and generator and power steering pump bracket. Yes I know what they all are - I need to know if I put my car back together to actually prove that it's going to RUN (yes it starts now) how much will I have to take off again to R&R the PS hoses?

Is there a better area on this forum for these stupid questions?

thanks friends :smile2:

Veronica

1 - 20 of 29 Posts