Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am about to change the whole driverside door shell on my car.....I notice that rivets hold everything in there. (window motor, power lock actuator, ect, ect.) Now my question is, do you need special rivets, or would any rivet do?? If I need special ones....where can I get them, and a part number would help(if from GM). TIA, Jason.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The rivets that hold the window motor in are not anything you can buy at the local hardware store. Dal can get them for you. You will also need a bigger than normal rivet gun (I don't remember the size grasp you need). I got my gun for $15 from Harbor Freight Tools (NAPA wanted over $200 for their model).

The easier alternative is to buy a new window motor from NAPA. It comes with custom bolts so no rivets are necessary. This is the route I went even though I already had the rivots and rivot gun. Drilling out the rivots was a pain and I didn't do my door much good. Next time, I just need to loosen the bolts.

While you're working on the door, here is another mod I recommend. I've been very pleased with it.

SEO 6N1 Door Lock Module

Lastly, for anyone reading this that isn't working on the driver's door , I want to add that my experience was on the driver's door. There is a chance that you may have to use a rivet(s) on one of the other doors. Comes down to whether you are able to get a socket/wrench behind the window motor in order to hold the nut during tightening.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jason,

Just grind the old rivits off.
As for when you install the new motor it's easier and less of a pain just to use some 1/4x3/4 course bolts and some locknuts to hold the motor.

I tack welded the head of the bolts in place on the motor bracket so I could just use a socket to tighten the nut without trying to put a wrench in the door to keep the head of the boly from turning.

I also took off the armrest piece when doing the motors. I used plain 3-16x1" aluminum pop rivits to replace the stock GM pieces. You could also use these on the motor, but I believe the stock ones are 1/4 inch and a normal hand held pop rivit gun will not handle 1/4 inch rivits.

Hope this helps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by KC Clark:
The rivets that hold the window motor in are not anything you can buy at the local hardware store. Dal can get them for you. You will also need a bigger than normal rivet gun
KC, Do you know the part numbers for the rivets?? Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Removing rivets is simple. First make sure 'spreading pin' is not in center of rivet. If there are any left in there, they must be banged thru w/hammer. A small Pin Punch or Awl is helpfull in banging them thru & out. Then you can drill out rivet with 1/4" Drill Bit. On reinstall you can use short slotted head Stove Bolts 1/4" x 1/2-3/4"long with Nuts & Star Lock[internal] Washers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.