Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not looked up to see if its the inner or the outer tie rods, but one matched pair has the hole to screw the grease fitting into, and the other pair has the grease fitting in the bag, but no hole. There looks to be a circle stamped in the metal, am I supose to knock out the plug to open the hole? I'm afraid that if it is a knock out plug that the metal will go inside the joint if I try it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I find it funny somebody asked the exact question I did when I was installing my kit. I called the "creator" and stumped him also. Upon further investigation he saw the hole on the end and pointed it out to me over the phone..... yup, I felt really dumb.

TOM B

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Add me to the dumb list.

I guess we should leave this post for others to find doing a search for where to put the grease fitting, lol.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes bingo, Chris, the Inner Tie Rods have Zerk hole in side of joint.
If in back, would be a little[
>crossmember< ] hard to get GG in there. ;)

Btw, buy/install 90* Zerks. Easier angle to grease.
:eek: Of course, tighten them to face front, slightly downward.

ADD: You might wanna put 90's in UBJ's too. :cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by LarryCigar:
Yes bingo, Chris, the Inner Tie Rods have Zerk hole in side of joint.
If in back, would be a little[
>crossmember< ] hard to get GG in there. ;)

Btw, buy/install 90* Zerks. Easier angle to grease.
:eek: Of course, tighten them to face front, slightly downward.

ADD: You might wanna put 90's in UBJ's too. :cool:
I already decided to put 90's in the inner tie rods, but I had not thought about the UBJ's. I guess this makes it easier to grease if reaching up from under the car? I usually do the ones under the car while the old oil is draining out of the pan, then once the car is lowered back down I do the upper ball joint by running the hose of the grease gun over the top of the tire. But then again, I've not had SS springs before now, so maybe I won't be able to reach my arm in over the tire on this car.

I remembered on the 96 that the inner tie rods were a pain because I used ramps to change the oil and then could not turn the wheels one way then the other to get to the fittings.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Getting to my UBJ 90* Zerks[facing front], I start engine, cut wheels all the way left, stop engine, and easily attach GG to left UBJ Zerk. Right UBJ, wheels get cut all the way right, etc.
Good access room, with wheels cut completely either way.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
NAPA, and possibly other sources, have zerk caps available to protect the fittings from road grime, etc. I've bought them for years and they were some kind of grease resistant rubber. Would last until you lost them doing a lube. Last ones I picked up were some other material (pvc?) and split on the wagon fittings in one grease cycle. Progress... Check to see what they appear to be made of. Just my .02 added...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now that Larry has told you the RIGHT way, here's what I do. Put 45 degree fittings on the UBJ's aiming towards the center of the car. That way, with the thing in the air, I can reach over the top of the wheel & snap the gun on. Your welcome, Larry.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To each his own, miserable. I never said, my way, was the RighT WaY.
If YOU prefer over the tire, do's it it*.

Btw, I don't grease my FE, on a lift/jack.

Us Project Boys{low income} stays* on da* ground.
I've got a nice big piece of refrigerator box cardboard, to lie on.

*Project speak

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lemmons' be svelte.

He also get'ins one front wheel up on curb, on a nice shady side street, when greasing FE
[sometimes I forget's my cardboard, & have to return home to git'it :mad: ] !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will most likely be using ramps so the supension won't be in a dropped position either same as if on the ground. Even though I have to use 2X6's to run the front wheels up on before the bumper cover hits the ramps.

I remember way back when I could park a car over a low spot on the drive way to do an oil change, but since then the cars have gotten lower and I've gotten thicker, lol.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Larry,
I started to get a package of assorted 45 and 90 degree grease fittings at local auto parts store, but there were several different sizes and also metric and standard.

Do you know what size the PPM extreme front end kit uses?

Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you can't afford a jack and jackstands to do oil changes and front end greasings...you should cancel your internet so the money for it's bill can be used to buy the jack and stands.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No Mike I already tried that size and they didn't fit in the tie rods.

Anybody else know what size and thread the grease fittings are in the PPM tie rods.

Thanks,
Kevin

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.