Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

Registered
1995 V4P Fleetwood
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

I have had a local shop around here (very trustworthy) install a new power steering pump (remanufactured) into my 1995 Fleetwood. We have deleted the electronic nipple/needle that worked with the electronic steering sender as it was causing issues with heavy steering, as you all may have remembered from an older post.

The shop put a slight bend in the OEM power steering lines to have the lines fit directly into the pump, rather than change over to a Caprice pump and Caprice power steering lines. There is not any impediment to the flow of fluid due to this.

Across 2 different shops, I am now up to 3? 4? (2 Autozone pumps, and a couple of other brands) power steering pumps as they keep whining, and causing the car/throttle bog at low speed. Steering is very difficult in parking lots, etc, and the car will sometimes bog at start up when goosing the throttle and turning the wheel as you leave a driveway or parking spot.

They have installed numerous pumps and warrantied every single one, so I haven't paid a dime for the extra work.

That said, does anyone have any grand ideas as to what is happening and why they would be failing so frequently and quickly? Terrible manufacturing? The belts and everything are in good order to drive the pump, so that doesn't seem to be the issue!

THANK YOU in advance.

Registered
Try this company, there a little steep in price but I believe they are made here in the USA 馃嚭馃嚫, all Autozone, and Oreilly鈥檚 crap are all made in China.

Registered
1995 V4P Fleetwood
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try this company, there a little steep in price but I believe they are made here in the USA 馃嚭馃嚫, all Autozone, and Oreilly鈥檚 crap are all made in China.

Thank you very much.

Do they make Fleetwood pumps or Impala only?

Fleetwood power steering lines won't fit into the Caprice pump, will it?

Registered
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
Thank you very much.

Do they make Fleetwood pumps or Impala only?

Fleetwood power steering lines won't fit into the Caprice pump, will it?
It's been awhile since I looked, but the pumps are the same. The only difference is the Fleetwood/Roadmaster pumps with electronic assist have an extra sensor thing attached to them.

You may run into issues with the bends of the line being off, but nothing is functionally different. You should be able to just screw/unscrew (depending on application) this sensor, allowing the line to fit properly.

Premium Member
Gents,

I have had a local shop around here (very trustworthy) install a new power steering pump (remanufactured) into my 1995 Fleetwood. We have deleted the electronic nipple/needle that worked with the electronic steering sender as it was causing issues with heavy steering, as you all may have remembered from an older post.

The shop put a slight bend in the OEM power steering lines to have the lines fit directly into the pump, rather than change over to a Caprice pump and Caprice power steering lines. There is not any impediment to the flow of fluid due to this.

Across 2 different shops, I am now up to 3? 4? (2 Autozone pumps, and a couple of other brands) power steering pumps as they keep whining, and causing the car/throttle bog at low speed. Steering is very difficult in parking lots, etc, and the car will sometimes bog at start up when goosing the throttle and turning the wheel as you leave a driveway or parking spot.

They have installed numerous pumps and warrantied every single one, so I haven't paid a dime for the extra work.

That said, does anyone have any grand ideas as to what is happening and why they would be failing so frequently and quickly? Terrible manufacturing? The belts and everything are in good order to drive the pump, so that doesn't seem to be the issue!

THANK YOU in advance.
A inline cooler with a fan on top can help .

Premium Member
Thoughts of top of head,

What fluid are they using, if ATF or some off brand ps fluid , not the best choices. Guys have had good success with synthetic steering fluid.
My go to is still conventional GM PS fluid.

Are they flushing system till clean.
( cranking wheel lock to lock while flushing helps)

Does the shop have the tools to do proper pressure AND flow checks ?
This to make sure the momentary boost loss you seem to be having is pump, not box.
High box internal leakage from seals or wear can cause stalling of PS.
Typically, but not always worst cold.
"Morning sickness" as it is known.

Vacuum bleed ? Has been helpful personally with trapped air, and resulting foaming-whining.

With all your issues, I would personally have a magnetic filter on your return.
Example
Not saying the above is your issue , more possibilities.
Good luck

Super Moderator
Something is wrong with your system. Power Steering pumps are very simple inside. The behavior you mention sounds like the high pressure line is constricted.

Having both a roadmaster and an Impala at my house right now, the line in the back is ninety degrees different between the variable assist and non-variable-assist, so a "slight bend" is like saying I "slightly totaled" my car. How do you know the line is flowing properly? Did you measure it or did the shop measure it?

I'd say replace that line with a proper one FIRST. Then go from there.

Registered
Betting line has a kink ,and/or restricted in some way.

Reactions: Caddyshack95

Registered
It's been awhile since I looked, but the pumps are the same. The only difference is the Fleetwood/Roadmaster pumps with electronic assist have an extra sensor thing attached to them.

You may run into issues with the bends of the line being off, but nothing is functionally different. You should be able to just screw/unscrew (depending on application) this sensor, allowing the line to fit properly.
This post was pretty pointless.

I misunderstood the original post, so my reply doesn't make much sense. Oh well. They can't all be winners.

Premium Member

I misunderstood the original post, so my reply doesn't make much sense. Oh well. They can't all be winners.
I had air pressurizing in the reservoir on account my low psi side line had a small leak,nothing major but it let air in and foamed up the fluid and then it would whine when hot.I was burping the system bye popping the cap off and releasing the psi every time i drove the car.

Registered
1995 V4P Fleetwood
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all so much for the help. Replies below, but I have a follow up question.

The Impala SS/Caprice lines can be installed instead of the OEM Fleetwood lines and everything matches up fine, correct? This fixes the slight bend issue in the Fleetwood lines that were not bent from OEM.

So basically I could install Impala SS lines and Impala SS pump with no issues?

This is actually very helpful...

We removed the sensor and they put a slight bend in the line to make it the OEM lines with the Fleetwood pump sans sensor.

Thoughts of top of head,

What fluid are they using, if ATF or some off brand ps fluid , not the best choices. Guys have had good success with synthetic steering fluid.
My go to is still conventional GM PS fluid.

Are they flushing system till clean.
( cranking wheel lock to lock while flushing helps)

Does the shop have the tools to do proper pressure AND flow checks ?
This to make sure the momentary boost loss you seem to be having is pump, not box.
High box internal leakage from seals or wear can cause stalling of PS.
Typically, but not always worst cold.
"Morning sickness" as it is known.

Vacuum bleed ? Has been helpful personally with trapped air, and resulting foaming-whining.

With all your issues, I would personally have a magnetic filter on your return.
Example
Not saying the above is your issue , more possibilities.
Good luck
Very helpful!

It's a reputable shop. The color of the fluid leads me to believe it's synthetic fluid. They do have all the proper tools, to my knowledge.

They did do a system flush this past time and it didn't solve the issue. I have done a lock to lock flush before and that did not fix it either (on a past pump).

Lee Power steering has a filter as well (much more expensive). It simply slips into the return line with no issues?

Something is wrong with your system. Power Steering pumps are very simple inside. The behavior you mention sounds like the high pressure line is constricted.

Having both a roadmaster and an Impala at my house right now, the line in the back is ninety degrees different between the variable assist and non-variable-assist, so a "slight bend" is like saying I "slightly totaled" my car. How do you know the line is flowing properly? Did you measure it or did the shop measure it?

I'd say replace that line with a proper one FIRST. Then go from there.
It certainly does sound like a constriction issue. In parking lots after the car is hot, I can't turn the wheel much at all...

The shop did the measurements and tried the line bend to fix the sensor issue. So you're saying that the line being bent (gentle angle, from my understanding) would be enough to constrict the flow?

So, as above, I could install Impala SS lines and SS pump with no issues?

I'll relay the information.

No not pointless at all. That's actually helpful and very interesting and what I am trying to figure out about how the pumps look/differences between the 2.

Super Moderator
Pumps are identical. Literally the only thing different is the variable pressure regulator, which can be removed separately from the pump. You may need the rear nut, but it's common to millions of GM and other vehicles.

More info on pumps here:
(3) Sherlock9c1 finally gets an Impala | Page 5 | Chevy Impala SS Forum

Yes, install a "w/o NV7 variable assist" pressure line and you'll be fine.

I continue to assert that the end fittings are 90 degrees different, and there's not much room. No "gentle bend" here. I'd put money on that bend being your problem.

Registered
1995 V4P Fleetwood
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pumps are identical. Literally the only thing different is the variable pressure regulator, which can be removed separately from the pump. You may need the rear nut, but it's common to millions of GM and other vehicles.

More info on pumps here:
(3) Sherlock9c1 finally gets an Impala | Page 5 | Chevy Impala SS Forum

Yes, install a "w/o NV7 variable assist" pressure line and you'll be fine.

I continue to assert that the end fittings are 90 degrees different, and there's not much room. No "gentle bend" here. I'd put money on that bend being your problem.

You are the man.

Trying to get ahold of Lee Power Steering and speak with them. So just changing the pressure line and we're good? Low pressure can stay the same?

Does the filter @95wagon described above just simply slip into the low pressure line feeding into the tank?

I'm running on trust here (of all of your collective knowledge).... Going to have the shop install a new high pressure line and then the Lee pump and I should be off to the races.

PS: With the Lee pump, they can tune the feel of it to my liking, I presume?

Super Moderator
Yes, changing the pressure line is the first step. After that, you'd be looking at replacing the steering box.

Pumps are fixed displacement. Borgeson makes a kit that allows you to lower the max pressure, but it does so by activating the pump bypass sooner, not by reducing the pump volume.

The tuning is done in the steering box. There are different shafts that vary how much boost is added to user input.

Registered
1995 V4P Fleetwood
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just spoke to the shop. They want to put the pump they have (new pump, most likely remanufactured) in the car and then see what happens. It's not going to cost me a dime, so I guess I'll go that route to start with.

@sherlock9c1 If what you're saying is true (I think it is), I'll be back there again soon to have them put the new line and Lee pump in to fix this once and for all.

FOR THE FUTURE: That said, will an Impala/Caprice line work with the Fleetwood box? So I'll have one low pressure Fleetwood line, one high pressure Impala line, and an Impala pump. If I so desire, I can have the box changed to a Lee rebuilt with no issues. Is this correct?

In other words, besides the pump connection location, all the rest of the parts are like Legos and will fit 1:1?

Registered
Recommended reading:

Registered
That said, will an Impala/Caprice line work with the Fleetwood box? So I'll have one low pressure Fleetwood line, one high pressure Impala line, and an Impala pump. If I so desire, I can have the box changed to a Lee rebuilt with no issues. Is this correct?

In other words, besides the pump connection location, all the rest of the parts are like Legos and will fit 1:1?
There is no such thing as a "Fleetwood line" or an "Impala pump".

The 94-96 LT1 cars came with 2 different setups. One of them had a thing sticking off the back of the pump, and the other did not. "Style A" and "Style B". Your pressure line and pump need to be the same style. The make and model are not part of the equation.

Registered
1995 V4P Fleetwood
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There is no such thing as a "Fleetwood line" or an "Impala pump".

The 94-96 LT1 cars came with 2 different setups. One of them had a thing sticking off the back of the pump, and the other did not. "Style A" and "Style B". Your pressure line and pump need to be the same style. The make and model are not part of the equation.
To my knowledge, the Fleetwood has its own style lines. The Caprice/Impala and maybe Roadmaster had another. Correct?

I understand what you're saying. As above, I'll need to change the high pressure line to a Caprice/Impala and install the Impala pump for all to work out....

Registered
To my knowledge, the Fleetwood has its own style lines. The Caprice/Impala and maybe Roadmaster had another. Correct?

I understand what you're saying. As above, I'll need to change the high pressure line to a Caprice/Impala and install the Impala pump for all to work out....
As far as I know, the Fleetwood line is not any different from the Roadmaster line that also has the thing sticking off the back of the pump.

The Roadmaster came equipped both ways from the factory.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts