Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,993 Posts
Buy a pressure hose by application for a Caprice or Impala for the same year ( yeah I know its not a model deal but Caprice -Impala never had the option so it is,easier to get correct hose by that application )

That will remove the question whether or not the modification of your original line is a contributing factor.
I still stand by my original post , that your shop needs to do PROPER PS system flow and pressure checks.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Does it ?
I believe it shuts off the AC compressor at over 500 psi ps line pressure .
Pin 1 black PCM plug A/C request.
Power from the heater control connects to A/C compressor cycling switch. Switch closes above 43-49psi and opens blow 23-25psi to prevent freeze up.I did not find RPM increase but do not have time to look.It is common to change RPM when the A/C compressor is running.
Pin 12 blue PCM A/c refrigerant pressure sensor controls the high pressure cut off. I can not find a "high pressure switch"

If I understand 95wagon he is referring to the FSM which states the power steering idle speed control will shut off the A/C compressor if the power steering system develops over 500psi. Apparently I have confused the circuit with ones from other vehicles that are "repurposed" to "bump the RPM" and can be used to force high idle for loud stereos or power inverter usage.

To clarify the general comment, without the switch idle can be messed up and the steering will get hard.

·
Registered
1995 V4P Fleetwood
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
You removed it and put in one of these , right ?
View attachment 200047
I agree with you 100% on the pressure test! None of the shops I have taken it to have pressure tested it, included the one that's warrantied my pump. Their assertion is that it's a new pump, so pressure through it should be fine. Hypothetically, yes but as we know most likely the line is causing us issues which would show up in a pressure test.

The shop did the original work, but yes the EVO is gone.

I go back to my original question: I can't just fit the Caprice hose into the Fleetwood pump, can I? The lines won't line up perfectly since they weren't made to be mated.

The only way to do what you're proposing is to install a Caprice line and a Caprice pump, correct?

I can't just go put a Caprice line with an Impala pump since they don't line up properly?

·
Premium Member
5,993 Posts
An impala is a caprice

I was trying to simplify this for you but it just got worse.

Buicks can be had with or without the variable assist so referencing doesnt help.

Caprice- Impala NEVER had variable assist .

So , if you ask for pressure hose to fit a Caprice , or Impala ( same thing) you will be getting a hose that fits the pump without the solenoid in place.
Physically, fitting the 94-96 ( the whole car line ) the pump casting is the same.

Same as all the boxes from a hydraulic fitting respective.

The pump, if you have the short, non solenoid, nut,
( I'm not going to refer to it by name because you will just get confused more)

the caprice- impala pressure hose will screw into it.

·
Premium Member
5,993 Posts
Testing ,
It is not just pressure
It is pressure at a certain flow.
It is max pressure with line blocked
It is max pressure with spool valve on stops
It is left right pressure difference vs steering input load.
And on and on .

Anyone can bolt the parts on,,
Someone diagnosing your car should have tools and a clue.

And after all this , it will turn out to be either your belt tensioner or outer ring on your damper slipping 🙄

·
Registered
1995 V4P Fleetwood
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
An impala is a caprice

I was trying to simplify this for you but it just got worse.

Buicks can be had with or without the variable assist so referencing doesnt help.

Caprice- Impala NEVER had variable assist .

So , if you ask for pressure hose to fit a Caprice , or Impala ( same thing) you will be getting a hose that fits the pump without the solenoid in place.
Physically, fitting the 94-96 ( the whole car line ) the pump casting is the same.

Same as all the boxes from a hydraulic fitting respective.

The pump, if you have the short, non solenoid, nut,
( I'm not going to refer to it by name because you will just get confused more)

the caprice- impala pressure hose will screw into it.
Thanks for sticking with me; I'm sorry I am so slow.

I'm with you on the differences between the vehicles.

I'm not sure if the shop installed that plug like you've shown above. I assume they did, which is what required them to put that bend in the OEM line in the first place.

So you're saying if that plug has been installed, then the Caprice line will fit right on there and I'm off to the races. No reason to install a Caprice pump then...

This is a pressure hose for the non variable assist , caprice- impala.
View attachment 200055 View attachment 200056

Interesting it still has the pressure sender on the line....

The linked article above shows their new line and they took it off... personal preference?

·
Premium Member
5,993 Posts
Read over this thread carefully.

The switch in the line that is closer to the box,
(You can also see it in the photo of my hose I took 10 minutes ago)
has nothing to do with the variable power steering system and the solenoid the shop removed from your car.
If yours is there and solid, sure move it to the new hose.
If yours leaks , then don't bother.
If you make a habit of cranking the wheel standing still ,in gear ,dead idle, AC on then you might need it.

·
Registered
1995 V4P Fleetwood
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)
@95wagon I FINALLY SEE IT:

Cadillac pump:

Caprice Pump:

With the EVO removed and the straight adapter in there it's the same pump🤬

Caddy:

Caprice:

Read over this thread carefully.

The switch in the line that is closer to the box,
(You can also see it in the photo of my hose I took 10 minutes ago)
has nothing to do with the variable power steering system and the solenoid the shop removed from your car.
If yours is there and solid, sure move it to the new hose.
If yours leaks , then don't bother.
If you make a habit of cranking the wheel standing still ,in gear ,dead idle, AC on then you might need it.
That little doo-dad will control idle. No real habit doing that... Don't think mine is leaking but I can have a looksie and see.

I understand what you're saying now.

Thanks for sticking with me on this. Difficult and I'm a bit slow over online since I didn't actually do the work myself on this job.

The low pressure line is 1:1 the same thing across all B/D body cars regardless of variable assist, then? Caprice=Impala=Fleetwood?

·
Premium Member
5,993 Posts
There you go,
If you unscrewed that 1" hex on the chev pump and removed it, "poof" that pump essentially turned into a caddy pump waiting for you to put the solenoid in.

Stuff that hex piece and internal bits in the caddy pump and again, "poof" your caddy spec'd pump turns into a chev pump.
So to speak,

That switch in the line tells the ac to disengage
( think we covered this 🤔😉) above a given pressure.
Its not like the IAC wouldn't try to keep base idle but dropping the AC helps it react to instantaneous load somewhat.
This is why bluehairs parking their caddies are sweating in the summer

·
Registered
1995 V4P Fleetwood
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
There you go,
If you unscrewed that 1" hex on the chev pump and removed it, "poof" that pump essentially turned into a caddy pump waiting for you to put the solenoid in.

Stuff that hex piece and internal bits in the caddy pump and again, "poof" your caddy spec'd pump turns into a chev pump.
So to speak,

That switch in the line tells the ac to disengage
( think we covered this 🤔😉) above a given pressure.
Its not like the IAC wouldn't try to keep base idle but dropping the AC helps it react to instantaneous load somewhat.
This is why bluehairs parking their caddies are sweating in the summer
Finally makes sense. They MUST have used that adapter in my Caddy pump... Never mentioned it to me but they had to have to get a line to work in there. I wonder where they got that little hex piece from to install....

Interesting... Without that little secondary device on there the AC would go go go and if I was really wrenching on the wheel would be low idle. Cut the AC, raise the idle.

·
Registered
1991 OCC 305, dual exhaust, notched crossmember, LT1 gas tank
5 Posts
Dude. Your having to put in a ton of legwork, for a job you paid a shop to handle for you. I like your ‘willing to learn/want to understand’ style. If your can’t find a good mechanic…you’ll have to become one yourself….saves you a ton of money & some headaches. So think about telling this hack shop “I want you to install new power steering lines. All of em” since they suck at diagnosing, their probably really good at ordering parts, and changing em out. Then once your P.S system is sorted out, never, ever go back there. You’ve been dealing with this for a month now. It’s time to land this plane. This forum will help ya from there

·
Registered
1995 V4P Fleetwood
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Dude. Your having to put in a ton of legwork, for a job you paid a shop to handle for you. I like your ‘willing to learn/want to understand’ style. If your can’t find a good mechanic…you’ll have to become one yourself….saves you a ton of money & some headaches. So think about telling this hack shop “I want you to install new power steering lines. All of em” since they suck at diagnosing, their probably really good at ordering parts, and changing em out. Then once your P.S system is sorted out, never, ever go back there. You’ve been dealing with this for a month now. It’s time to land this plane. This forum will help ya from there
Thanks for the thoughts. I would do more, but it's my only car so it's stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I do need to get another car, although unsure how likely that will be at this point in time. Turning a wrench is enjoyable for me, it just takes time and some skills which I am trying to build.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts