Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped in my local interior shop to see if they would wrap my slightly funky grey wheel, and they referred me to this site:

http://wheelskins.com/original_wheelskin.php

I'm going for black instead of the original all grey. Not concerned about the hot FL sun: it will be mostly (hopefully) garaged.

$50.00 plus $7.50 shipping. My shop is charging me $85 to install. I know not to screw with this myself; I've read into it here and I'm convinced that lining up the threading is way over my patience threshhold.

Your thoughts?

*how about a stylish Ed Hardy designer wrap from AutoZone? RIGHTEOUS FIST BUMP! Anyone? Anyone?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
The problem with the ones you posted, especially if changing colors, is that it doesn't cover the whole wheel- you will see where the arms going to the airbag are not accounted for with this, or any other, universal kit.

I've been asking around about recovering my wheel and no one locally wants to touch it. If you do find something, let us know, as there are others that would like a good source for this as well. Mine is SEM'd for now, but new leather would be a heck of a lot better.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I have done wheel skins on several cars, including my SS and Lincoln LSC.

I was happy w/ the results. However, if I was gonna pay $135..........I'd look into the wheel refinisher, mentioned on this forum.

I think he/she gets $240 and it looks like OE.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
I had my steering wheel on and off in 5 minutes. What did I miss that makes it a difficult job??

·
Registered
586 Posts
What Mikeceli says. The wraps usually increase the thickness of the wheel, which I really dislike. If that's your gig, though, go for it. Me. I'd rather get it recovered.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had my steering wheel on and off in 5 minutes. What did I miss that makes it a difficult job??
I heard you hafta line up the pieces just right and there's a special trick to it. Why else would they avoid ordering them?

The same shop dyed my shifter handle black, and it was about as funky as my wheel. It's a little better, but I'm not satisfied 100%.

*anyone find the thread of the DIY wheel?

·
Registered
299 Posts
You should consider switching to a Monte Carlo wheel with Radio controls! I have one for sale complete with air bag, 230 bucks Shipped.
Very nice condition.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts