Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 40a fuse underneath the hood was blown when I bought the car two months ago and have blown twice (not sure how long it took to blow the fuse).

Whats the issue?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,040 Posts
A intermittent short to ground in the wiring or the motor is drawing excessive amperage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,073 Posts
One of two things:

Intermittent short

Fan drawing too much current

The wiring is simple: It goes from the fuse box over the passenger side inner fender, to the fans. The primary fan wire is light blue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,810 Posts
how can you tell if the motor is drawing excessive amperage??
Put in a new fuse, turn it on and then feel the wire to see if it gets hot. Be careful, it could get real hot.

Or, turn the fan by hand to see if it has a lot of resistance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
337 Posts
Replace the fan motors!

I had several nightmare overheating rides because the fans had overheated the relay sockets resulting in poor fan function. Even after replacing the fan motors, the fan speed was low due to the relay sockets being cooked and 'yawned' out.

Fan motors at Autozone seemed to work fine. They're like $40.

The relay harness upgrade kit from Innovative Wiring was ~$120...

-kp
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top