Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting tired of looking at the faded roof and trunk, and want to primer my Caprice to just make the whole car look all uniform until i have the $$$ for a quality respray job at a good bodyshop.

What's the best brand of Black Primer in spray cans i can get, and where can i get them? I don't have an air tank/compressor or spray guns, so i have to resort to spray cans...

Also, would flat black come out decent looking from spray cans too?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
869 Posts
any type of rattle can primer should be sanded back off when real paint is applied, so just fyi if you plan on having a good paint job later on itll cost you more because of the more prep work involved.

but if your not too worried, then use rustomleum automotive primer. If its high-build you canfirst sand with 180, if not id use 220. You will get the rattle can lines in the final finish. You can eliminate these by letting it dray for a few days, then taking a red scotch pad ( i belive the red it the least coarse) and saopy water and lightly go over the car with it. Keep in ming though- this is a big car and to get a good couple of coats that wont wear right through you spend a lot of money in cans

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Dont do it. Trust me, if you are going to go primer spray it in a booth.

·
Super Moderator
8,891 Posts
Just save your money for the paint job. You'll be shooting your wallet in the foot to spray it with primer now.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I bought a Rustoleum Spraycan primer with a rusteater at Meijer. I primered my whole roof on my Neon last summer. Then spray bombed painted it. It went through a michigan winter, and still NO rust. Anything you do, make sure the prep is thorough!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts