Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my '95 9C1 LT1 has a major issue all of a sudden. This morning when I opened her up as I usually do every other day, I noticed the crank shaft pulley/harmonic balancer is not spinning in a perfect circle, as part of the rubber seal around the outside face of the balancer is broken, that seems to be why the weight distribution is off. Anyway, where can I pick up a new one, or, if anyone knows where there is a pick your own part junkyard around me, I live in eastern Las Vegas.

Any input is appreciated, thanks,
Tony
Also, is there any good light-weight pulley replacements, If I have to get a new one, might as well get something race-inspired:), But not unless I can pick up at least 10HP from it...

· Registered
2,713 Posts
Hey guys, my '95 9C1 LT1 has a major issue all of a sudden. This morning when I opened her up as I usually do every other day, I noticed the crank shaft pulley/harmonic balancer is not spinning in a perfect circle, as part of the rubber seal around the outside face of the balancer is broken, that seems to be why the weight distribution is off. Anyway, where can I pick up a new one, or, if anyone knows where there is a pick your own part junkyard around me, I live in eastern Las Vegas.

Any input is appreciated, thanks,
Tony
Also, is there any good light-weight pulley replacements, If I have to get a new one, might as well get something race-inspired:), But not unless I can pick up at least 10HP from it...
Tony,

There is a pick a part on Nellis and Lamb, but that is on the north side of town. You can get a new one from RMS auto, RockAuto.com or call Sam Smith at Fairway Chevrolet.

Or even send me an email, [email protected], and I'll ask the other guys in our club (SSin City SS) and see if any of them have a used one laying around. I suspect one of the guys might have one.

Jim

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, thanks alot man! They said he's got a couple b-bodys right now and a '95 with an LT1, so I should be okay. Will only the LT1 pulley fit? Or can I use one from an l99? seems to me they should be the same, right?

Also, what type of puller should I use, I've heard the LT1 balancer is harder to get off than some other cars, is this true?

Thanks alot,
Tony
I also received a shout from one of the SSincitySS members, who was very nice and helpful with my matter, so I should be attending some meets or trips to the drag strip!

· Registered
2,856 Posts
Hey, thanks alot man! They said he's got a couple b-bodys right now and a '95 with an LT1, so I should be okay. Will only the LT1 pulley fit? Or can I use one from an l99? seems to me they should be the same, right?

Also, what type of puller should I use, I've heard the LT1 balancer is harder to get off than some other cars, is this true?

Thanks alot,
Tony
I also received a shout from one of the SSincitySS members, who was very nice and helpful with my matter, so I should be attending some meets or trips to the drag strip!
They're interchangable between the L99 and LT1 for B-bodies. Also, F-bodies use the same one. Being in Las Vegas, you should have no problem. Trouble with removing and installing the balancer is mostly confined to the rust belt. I have always just used a run of the mill balancer puller.

· Registered
2,713 Posts
Tony,

I bought my puller from Autozone, don't know what the pn is though. Just buy the one that has a bunch (three sets) of different size bolts. It works perfect on our cars. I haven't heard back from the other club members on a balancer, if they have one at pick-a-part go ahead and get it from there.

If you need anything give me a call.

Jim

· Registered
2,703 Posts
<Also, is there any good light-weight pulley replacements, If I have to get a new one, might as well get something race-inspired, But not unless I can pick up at least 10HP from it...>

It would be nice if things were this easy. What would lead you to this conclusion?

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used to have a 300zx TT and the lightened crank pulley was good for like 30HP and almost 40ft-lbs, but I guess it makes a big difference in forced induction...I figured if it was a couple pounds lighter it would free a lil up:)

· Registered
2,703 Posts
I used to have a 300zx TT and the lightened crank pulley was good for like 30HP and almost 40ft-lbs, but I guess it makes a big difference in forced induction...I figured if it was a couple pounds lighter it would free a lil up:)
I think that pulley was from the same company that made the cop car chip.

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

· Registered
2,713 Posts

· Registered
2,703 Posts
"I think that pulley was from the same company that made the cop car chip."

Not sure I follow you...The name of the company was Unorthodox Racing:

http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/Itemdetail.aspx?PartID=021010602&Year=1990&Make=30&Model=8#section2

(Check out the weight differences between it and stock)

I can't find the dyno graph it used to have, but I installed one on the '90zx I had a couple years back. Believe me, it gives EVERY bit of that 30HP and 40ft-lbs :)
It is very common for companies to make wildass claims about their products without any evidence to support them. If these kind of easy gains were realistic, there would be a tremendous growth industry in stock and aftermarket hubs and balancers. SOME gain is possible, but not on the order that you state. If you have dyno tests from before and after or other hard info proving your claim, I will gladly eat crow.

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
"It is very common for companies to make wildass claims about their products without any evidence to support them. If these kind of easy gains were realistic, there would be a tremendous growth industry in stock and aftermarket hubs and balancers. SOME gain is possible, but not on the order that you state. If you have dyno tests from before and after or other hard info proving your claim, I will gladly eat crow."

Okay, I found the dyno graph:

and here is the thread on the forum about said chart:
http://www.twinturbo.net/nissan/300zx/forums/general/view/1224241/Here-you-gogtgtgt.html

To clarify, I agree with you 100% about places making wild claims and crazy number statements, but in this case it is the real deal.
Let me explain: the 300zxTT has 300hp flywheel stock(249whp). They call this stage I. With 3 upgrades: intake, exhaust and computer chip, you go all the way to 400fhp(310whp), this is stage III. I know it sounds far-fetched but is definitely the case. The intake is 20hp, exhaust is another 20-25 and the chip gives 60(it also comes with boost jets to up the boost from 9.5 to 12-14 PSI). Basically this car just has gobs of un-tapped power in stock form.

Of course after the 450-470hp level mods become much more expensive, usually for not nearly as significant gains.
Obviously, I loved this car. I went to about stage IV and a half, the seat of the pants difference is amazing, with each mod you become forever spoiled to one of the best cost for performance cars around!

Anyway, there are a lot more articles on this subject and related ones if your interested...

And here's her beauty shots:)

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my 9C1, but I LOVED that Z!

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Forgot to mention, the largest gains as seen in the graph are in the lower to mid-range of the power band, not at peak power, because the lightened pulley allow boost to come in way sooner. And I admit, it works out to about 25-27hp and about 30ft-lbs, I exaggerated( a little ) Car feels 200 pounds lighter:D

· Registered
2,703 Posts
So that dyno test is not from your car where you can verify before and after tests with nothing other than a pulley change? Please don't confuse the issue with discussion of stage I, III, etc. mods that are interesting (although dubious) but have nothing to do with your original claim of significant gains by a simple pulley change. We are looking for concrete evidence for this isolated event.

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
"So that dyno test is not from your car where you can verify before and after tests with nothing other than a pulley change? Please don't confuse the issue with discussion of stage I, III, etc. mods that are interesting (although dubious) but have nothing to do with your original claim of significant gains by a simple pulley change. We are looking for concrete evidence for this isolated event."

Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse the issue like that, I merely wanted to demonstrate that very large performance gains are easy with this car at baseline power levels... I'm working on getting a before and after with just the pulley, I'm sure one is around somewhere.
I do NOT have one from my old Z, but there are hundreds of other Z owners that can attest to these numbers.
The difference in weight as I stated before(17lbs stock, 3.5lbs for the UR one), is where the power comes from, and boost comes in way faster, allowing rpm's to build more quickly and vice-versa. The dyno I had there is with only 2 mods, intake and a ECU(PCM we call it), pretty basic, but I'll try to get a better one for ya!

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
K, last try:)

This is a bone stock TTZ:

Note: stock flywheel HP-300, with approximately 17% drive line loss=249WHP(roughly)

This is another forum members TTZ with just a pulley, NOTHING else:

I have to make a correction here, this is with an air intake and the pulley, hence the 40hp difference; 20 for the intake and 20 for the pulley...
Now, I'd like you to refer to this page TTZ's of Dallas and note lines 34. (with pulley) and 40. ( bone stock)

This is about as good as I can get my evidence, I know this is an anomaly, and seems too good to be true, but it is.

If you still don't believe me, drop me a PM and I'll get you his E-mail and you can ask him personally;)

I know this isn't exactly the demonstration you asked for, but it's as close as I can find for now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.