Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the master cylinder with a rebuilt one from Advance Auto parts.
I am having issues bleeding the rear brakes, no matter what I do, I get bubbles in the rear compartment. The front one appears to be fine. I tried the bench bleeding method, bleeding the rear calipers to no avail.

Could it be they sold me bad MC, with the rear part having a bad gasket? And letting air through somehow.

·
Premium Member
6,429 Posts
"....bubbles in the rear compartment" means the section of the reservoir closest to the firewall, correct?

MC has 2 different size bores--one serving rear brakes, other serving front brakes.

The "rear" portion of the MC & reservoir serve the FRONT brakes--so I'm going out on a limb to say that the problem is with air in the rear portion of the MC and/or lines, and all the bleeding of the rears you've done will never resolve this.

·
Registered
869 Posts
does fluid come out strong when bleeding the rears or just barely trickle out? If it just barely comes out then the metering valve is stuck and needs to be reset. Usually the best way to do it is to drive the car around the block and stomp on the brakes a few times and itll reset.

If you see bubbles/fluid movement in the reservior from the rear brakes but the calipers bleed with a good stream and the car stops well, then that can be considered normal as sometimes fluid squirts up out of the master when brakes are applied. I had a friend help me bleed brakes once and he didnt know this, i took the cap off to add more fluid and he stepped down on the pedal which shot fluid up and everywhere under the hood, i was kinda pissed about that.

·
Premium Member
2,548 Posts
Type-O

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.