Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Project CUSTOM SEDAN GRILLE is complete

So I've been working on this a while... I'm sure you sedan guys know that they do not make an aftermarket "mesh style" grille for our cars... So I decided I'd make one myself. I've probably got about 80-100 hours in this project because I'm so anal about it coming out with a factory look, but the deal is almost done. All I need now is a day here in south FL that is DOESN'T rain, so I can get it painted up and on the car(good luck with that).... The outer surround will be white to match my car, and the inner lip & mesh will be blacked out. Take a look and let me know what you guys think. Thanks for looking :)

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More attachments

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Even more attachments...

I'll post more pics when it's painted and on the car :)

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am glad to see this post-

About 2 weeks ago I as wondering how hard it would be to do the mesh grill on the RMS. I have done it plenty of times on some of my previous cars. Can't wait to see the final product.
:cool:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I am glad to see this post-

About 2 weeks ago I as wondering how hard it would be to do the mesh grill on the RMS. I have done it plenty of times on some of my previous cars. Can't wait to see the final product.
:cool:

I'm anxious too... At this point, I just want the damn thing done and on the car. LOL... It wasn't really hard to do, just very time consuming. Total cost was about $100.00 for everything including the JY grille I bought to hack up...

Unfortunately the weather has been so crappy here lately - The humidity has been over 90% for days now... I finally have it all ready for paint and I can't! As SOON as I have the chance, it will be done and I'll get the pics right up... Most likely it will be on the weekend. :)

At the same time I paint the grille, I will be blacking out the chrome trim around the headlights and signals/,parking lights... as well as the rear light trim and the B pillars. Eventually I will do the stainless around the windows too... and I will paint the door handles white to match the body color... should give the car a whole new look and attitude.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it wasn't that humid(for here, lol) yesterday when I got out of work, so I ran home and got the white part all sprayed and cleared... and the mesh insert sprayed black and "low gloss" cleared... Tonight hopefully I'll be able to mask it off and just spray the inner lip with the black and low gloss clear. Then I'll be bolting 'er on this weekend and spraying the other trim I mentioned... The car needs a strong detail, but it'll show good in pics.... Hopefully have some posted by Monday as long as the weather cooperates :D

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The weather held out long enough yesterday after work for me to get it masked and the inner lip sprayed... so technically it is all done. I was about to bolt it in the car this morning, and then remembered that I need to spray the grille mount bracket back before I do that. Damn... So there what I'll be doing tomorrow :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I'm not entirely happy with the match job that the paint shop did on the color they mixed me, but that seems to be more of GM's fault for making 3 BRIGHT WHITES with code 9753... I'll respray it eventually... only looks bad when you're up close. I'm just glad I didn't decide to do the bumpers and mirrors just yet... So here's the pics of the grille on the car, with the front headlight surround trim painted low-gloss black :) See what ya think......

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
car look good..buick gs ish..needs ss wheels asap!
Thanks :) I hear ya on the wheels, but for some reason that I can't explain, I hate SS wheels on RMs... I love them ON SSs but just can't stand to see them on the Buicks... I will totally agree with why you say get wheels ASAP though... Literally every pic I have ever snapped of the car, I have ALWAYS said how the wheels look like crap or look really small, but they really do look great in person for what they are... One day I will either end up with the newer black 18" base Camaro wheels or some 17 x 9 soft 8s... Love that look. Basically the look I have now, just with MORE rim :) right now, besides the money (for the idea of wheels AND the rear end), I'm just trying not to f-up my gear ratio any worse by having taller (or heavier for that matter) wheels and tires... God I gotta get these 2.56s out of it...

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
looks good but it needs something in the grill. Even if its not in the center. Like a GS badge in the corner.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
looks good but it needs something in the grill. Even if its not in the center. Like a GS badge in the corner.

Thanks for the input... Funny that you say that, cause that's how I actually drew it out(like Buffman's/Cory's car was) before I started on the actual process... That being said, after I got it finished and on the car I thought that I like it plain and simply stated... Good news is, if I decide to change my mind and do it down the road, I always can. :D

·
Registered
306 Posts
FWIW I think your blacked-out Buick wheels actually look really cool - very much like something MIGHT have done if they had really had a "Roadmaster GS".

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FWIW I think your blacked-out Buick wheels actually look really cool - very much like something MIGHT have done if they had really had a "Roadmaster GS".

Thanks for that... I appreciate the compliment... That was EXACTLY my point when I came up with the idea to do it... I mean, I like nice wheels just as much as the next guy don't get me wrong... but as we all know, they are not by any means cheap. So I try to spend the little money I can afford to spend on the things that make me happy - GO FASTER stuff. Lol... I got the metal Buick badges off of ebay and stuck them on the center caps, then taped them off and sprayed the wheels and caps with engine paint... Then just measured the lip of the wheel and got me some polished stainless trim rings(as I would have figured Buick would've used if they came up with it) and tapped them on. Bam, custom yet factory "GS-ish" wheels. Now I can save up for my roller rockers & valve springs, rear end upgrades, and CIA tri-y s :D and all of the other $#it that I want cwm3

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks :) I hear ya on the wheels, but for some reason that I can't explain, I hate SS wheels on RMs... I love them ON SSs but just can't stand to see them on the Buicks... I will totally agree with why you say get wheels ASAP though... Literally every pic I have ever snapped of the car, I have ALWAYS said how the wheels look like crap or look really small, but they really do look great in person for what they are... One day I will either end up with the newer black 18" base Camaro wheels or some 17 x 9 soft 8s... Love that look. Basically the look I have now, just with MORE rim :) right now, besides the money (for the idea of wheels AND the rear end), I'm just trying not to f-up my gear ratio any worse by having taller (or heavier for that matter) wheels and tires... God I gotta get these 2.56s out of it...
don,t get me wrong here, your wheels looks really good like they where factory gs stuff..wheels are one of the cheapest way to change the look of a car imo, that's why I have a couple sets for every car I own. and th e gs in the grill would look good too..

''ss''

road wheels

·
Registered
960 Posts
Looks good! I like what you did with the wheels too....did you clip a chrome beauty ring on a factory alloy wheel?

**EDIT**

I see the post above now. VERY smart...I really like than man. Which trim rings did you buy?

I got the metal Buick badges off of ebay and stuck them on the center caps, then taped them off and sprayed the wheels and caps with engine paint... Then just measured the lip of the wheel and got me some polished stainless trim rings(as I would have figured Buick would've used if they came up with it) and tapped them on. Bam, custom yet factory "GS-ish" wheels.
Chris

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks good! I like what you did with the wheels too....did you clip a chrome beauty ring on a factory alloy wheel?

**EDIT**

I see the post above now. VERY smart...I really like than man. Which trim rings did you buy?
Thank you... I'd have to check my records at home to know for sure which ones they were, but I'm almost 100% sure that they were these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SETOF4-GM-15-STAINLESS-STEEL-WHEEL-TRIM-RINGS-BEAUTY-RIMS-GLAMOUR-RING-RIM-BAND-/220890676893?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item336e1c3e9d&vxp=mtr

... I had to play with the tabs a little bit to get them to go on the rims, and they just BARELY get all the way on... They are literally less than .05 away from contacting the face of the wheel when they're on, but because of that they look great I think... Like they're SUPPOSED to be there :) They've been on for 3 years now and haven't flown off... Even at VERY high speed ;)

... and BTW, I LOVE YOUR RIDE man! Looks absolutely GREAT!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
don,t get me wrong here, your wheels looks really good like they where factory gs stuff..wheels are one of the cheapest way to change the look of a car imo, that's why I have a couple sets for every car I own. and th e gs in the grill would look good too..

road wheels

I hear ya on the wheels... Funny that you chimed in on this. I always see your posts around, and EVERY time I say to myself that I LOVE the way your car looks with the old school Buick Rallys on it... Are yours the popular 15x6s or the really rare 15x7s? I'm no GM historian, but I believe that they only made the 7s for one year...?? I just checked around to see if I could find a set. And there actually IS a set out there in WA state... The guy says that they are in "driver"(fine by me) condition... wants $125 each for them + $110 shipping to FL for the set... not bad really at all... I'm sure I won't end up buying them though. I am DETERMINED to get these [email protected] [email protected] 2.56s out of this car so I can put some more power to the road... and stop doing unintentional 600ft burnouts every time I try to get on it off a light. LOL

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
I like the grill but was also thinking it needs...something.

I kind of like the wheels, too.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I hear ya on the wheels... Funny that you chimed in on this. I always see your posts around, and EVERY time I say to myself that I LOVE the way your car looks with the old school Buick Rallys on it... Are yours the popular 15x6s or the really rare 15x7s? I'm no GM historian, but I believe that they only made the 7s for one year...?? I just checked around to see if I could find a set. And there actually IS a set out there in WA state... The guy says that they are in "driver"(fine by me) condition... wants $125 each for them + $110 shipping to FL for the set... not bad really at all... I'm sure I won't end up buying them though. I am DETERMINED to get these [email protected] [email protected] 2.56s out of this car so I can put some more power to the road... and stop doing unintentional 600ft burnouts every time I try to get on it off a light. LOL
Thanks, they 15x6 i think, 15x7 are indeed very rare, got the wheels at last year granby's swap meet, 85$ for 5 wheels.This year i'm gonna try to find alloys wheels or nice hub cap, just for the fun of having 3 sets of wheels for the carcwm3

1 - 20 of 21 Posts