Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello i have a 95 caprice that trying to remove ps completely i want to remove all the accessory from this car and only run a alternator i found the alt relcation kit.im just wonderig what else must been done can i change the gear box out for a older model s10 manuel. or can i just loop the lines. i do realise this is a heavy car but i would like it to have manuel steering any info/ help would be greatly apprecciated thank u

· Registered
2,505 Posts
Yes S10 manual box from 86-92 will work. Just use your caprice pitman arm.
OR you can loop the PS lines but its hard as shiz to steer.

Nab

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes S10 manual box from 86-92 will work. Just use your caprice pitman arm.
OR you can loop the PS lines but its hard as shiz to steer.

Nab
Being as thou it would only be the weight of the engine in the front of the car do you really think it would be that hard to turn. I'm not gonna be parallel parking this car just cruise/ race car it will be drive on the street

· Registered
2,505 Posts
You can do it, but you'll get tired of "the excercise" after a while- especially when parking (even in a regular lot) :)

N

· Premium Member
5,330 Posts
Running a PS box with no boost, I do not suggest as you will be overworking the torsion bar in the control valve . Every time you turn you will be up against the control valve stops.
The input end of the PS box was never really intended to see arm over arm loads all the time.

If you are dead set on removing because of weight , then follow the above advise.

If you are wanting to do this to lower losses, then consider under driving the hell out of the PS.
I have run pumps at less than 50% crank speed and they still will function at low speed.
Gerry

· Registered
578 Posts
Running a PS box with no boost, I do not suggest as you will be overworking the torsion bar in the control valve . Every time you turn you will be up against the control valve stops.
The input end of the PS box was never really intended to see arm over arm loads all the time.
Gerry
Ditto what Gerry said. You can do it if absolutely necessary, like if a hose fails you can still steer to get off the road, but a PS box is not designed for permanently running with no boost. The internals of a manual box are different.

If you're going to get rid of the PS, you need to get a manual Chevy S10 steering box. I don't know if the Pitman arm needs to be changed as well. The manual box is more expensive than the PS box, and probably was more suitable for 4-cylinder S10s. According to the good ol' internet, some F-body (Camaro/Firebird) people did the swap. Couldn't have been easy to steer--those are heavy cars. The worst part is that the manual box steering ratio is very slow to compensate for the lack of boost. Various posts on other sites say it's SEVEN turns lock-to-lock.

· Registered
57 Posts
Blue wail, I just ordered an s10 steering
Box for my roadmaster. How bad is it to
Steer it with the s-10 manual steering box
Installed. Doing this for weekend and
For drag racing. I was just wondering
How much effort it really takes.

· Registered
2,505 Posts
Its easy to steer, I drove my car a month ago up to NJ and back 300 miles each way no problem.
The only hard part is making tight turns in a parking lot b/c you have to turn the steering wheel many more times compared to a power box.

Nab

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.