Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im seriously considering pulling my engine in my 96 impala to finish the cam swap. i gotta do a tq converter and header swap anyways and figure i might as well just pull the engine. any tips on pulling it? i never pulled one on a b body before. anyone have a website or link with instructions?

·
Registered
731 Posts
I wish I would have taken more pics back when I swapped my engine (I was afraid of killing my camera back then:().

I pulled mine w/o removing the hood, and I pulled the radiator, accessory bracket, WP, opti and balancer/hub off in preparation (somehow I remember not removing the A/C compressor until the engine was out...). I left the oil cooler lines attached to the engine.

Dealing with the engine harness, I simpily started at the PCM, disconnected it and went from there. You may wish to label each individual pigtail, esp. the o2's. Imho the harness should almost "fall" back into place when reinstalling. Where each connector goes will be in close proximity and obvious if you lay the harness out over the intake the way it will naturally want to go (I don't think any of the connectors can be plugged into the wrong place, injectors being the exception, but they should already be numbered).

The most aggravating part I recall was getting the power steering line disconnected from the pump so I could get to the last accessory bracket bolt behind it. (I unclipped the PS reservoir from its bracket, that gave me a little more slack in the line, but still not reasonably enough...)

It was close clearing the radiator support, but in all seriousness, it was the easiest motor pull I had ever done up until that time.

Once the harness, exhaust and front accessories are out of the way, the engine looks quite barren in the engine bay.

One of the only relevant pics I took, and it probably doesn't help much but still,:

I tied the engine harness and other various lines up by the underhood fuse box to keep them outta the way. (the jack is stuck in there to hold the trans, I used one under the engine and the trans when going back, it made getting the trans lined up w/ the engine a piece of cake).

If I hadn't had to wait on the TC, I could have had it swapped out and running in under 20 hours, and it was my 1st time pulling a B's engine. (bending the A/C lines for headers and R&R'ing that dang PS pump line took an hour or better a piece to do...)

This is just a brief summary of what I remember from my experience; I know I left out a lot, and others will chime in with the details and better ways to do this. I just simply followed my intuition and it worked out quite well for me in the end.:)

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Make sure you have an engine puller that will reach far enough in.

The only one that I pulled was out of the 9C1 that I totalled sometime ago, I have a fairly nice and beefy engine hoist, so it was pretty straight forward, I would pull the trans and everything all at once, seemed to be easier that way, especially since you have to pull the trans anyway, hell of alot easier to do a converter swap when it is all in front of you.

Oh if you do it this way with the motor and trans together, make sure you plug the tailshaft or the output shaft of the trans, it will dump alot of fluid.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Make sure you have an engine puller that will reach far enough in.

The only one that I pulled was out of the 9C1 that I totalled sometime ago, I have a fairly nice and beefy engine hoist, so it was pretty straight forward, I would pull the trans and everything all at once, seemed to be easier that way, especially since you have to pull the trans anyway, hell of alot easier to do a converter swap when it is all in front of you.

Oh if you do it this way with the motor and trans together, make sure you plug the tailshaft or the output shaft of the trans, it will dump alot of fluid.
Personal preference for me is to pull the trans/engine as 1 unit.

If you have a slightly shorter hoist like me I find removing the front bumper gets me the extra clearance needed.

If you can get your hands on a load leveler do so. Makes it so much better.

Suprisingly this was an easier pull than the straight 6 / 4speed out of my 1963 C-10.

-Brian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts