Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 81 Chevy Caprice, for $800. With no motor or tranny, body is good shape(No Dents/Rust) interior is in decent shape minus the dash cracking and driver seat torn a little bit, headliner looks fairly new, flowmasters was installed, 15" American Racing wheels on it, hoodscoop and some more little items. Was that a good deal or bad? I was just stuck on hooking up my first big body Chevy Caprice, that I wasn't really thinking. And its not much that I have to do to it. I was thinking about just throwing a good 350 back in it, with a 350 tranny. Eventually I want to try and install a LT1 in it. Let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
If you were looking for a driver, then I'd say it would have been worth spending a few grand to get a nice, complete car; however, if you're planning on changing motor and tranny anyway, then that's not a gross price for a good body and mechanical bits from which to start. Those hoodscoops HAVE to go, though :D.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Nothing screams "Pep Boys" quite like plastic, add-on hoodscoops :).

·
Registered
864 Posts
^^^^ cwm2 @ at the pep boys comment :D Completely agree.

Did you check out the previous body work really closely to be sure it's not full of bondo?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Loved my '82. Great for dealing with cabbies in manhattan :)

This one looks like it's gotten the low rider treatment. There may be more parts in there then you think. Hydraulics maybe?

Yeah, scoops gotta go..

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
I wouldn't say it was a good deal as I bought a 81 Caprice Coupe Landau for $800 and it was complete, running and in decent/good shape for such an old car.

But too late now. As long as you're happy. I drove the wheels off the car, and sold it for what I had into the car+paint...parted out hydros, wheels and system.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I wouldn't say it was a good deal as I bought a 81 Caprice Coupe Landau for $800 and it was complete, running and in decent/good shape for such an old car.

That's a VERY good deal! Up here in Canada (at least my area), $800 will barely get you a running ANYTHING cwm2

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah that is a good deal, but its hard to find caprice for a good price. But I'm going to take the hit, and still make this car worth a while. What's a good site for finding good parts beside jegs and summit racing

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Amazon,RockAuto,and ebay.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
They tend to be pricey. However,some parts tend to be difficult to find.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went to a shop and told a guy I needed a 305 motor, you know. Nothing big, just something for now so I can move my Chevy around a little bit. He told me he had one for $400, Running and all. So I said yea, I'll take it and I needed to be drop off. And this was Friday morning. So today I was in my backyard, just looking over it, cleaning the old dirt and debris of it. So I started scrubbing the back of the block and realize it said 5.7 on it. And I couldn't believe that I actually spent a few bucks to get a little extra power. I'm pretty excited about this one

·
Registered
306 Posts
Nice score! A running 350 for $400 sounds like a deal to me!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When looking for performance parts what actually to look for? Brand, material, size...??? I wanna rebuild my 350, not actually strike it out but I want to put a few HP in this motor

1 - 20 of 20 Posts