Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car looks a bit high in the front and rear. Check out the pics below. I would like to restore it back to factory height. All I would need are the SS springs..correct? Can someone point me in the direction to order some oem ss springs?

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Rar doesn't look bad..front is definitely too high. You say you only need stock impala springs...well, what springs are on there now?

·
Registered
11,040 Posts
Check your front wheelhouses for cut off material. Usually the big wheel cars have the rear of the wheelhouse cut off. It looks like you are missing the airdams in the front as well.

Check for spring jacks between the coils.

·
Registered
11,040 Posts
They go across the front of the car in 3 pieces. The keep air out from under the car, and force some up into the radiator. If you look at pics of other B-bodies, you will see them. The center and left may still be available from the dealer, but I believe the right is no longer available new.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I know you may want different opinions but like I told you on your PM it looks like the previous owner put stock Caprice springs on there. All you need is Impala stock springs and you can those cheap at Autozone or Amazon $80-90 new

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know you may want different opinions but like I told you on your PM it looks like the previous owner put stock Caprice springs on there. All you need is Impala stock springs and you can those cheap at Autozone or Amazon $80-90 new
Where can I find the airdams and I inspected the front springs again and I did find spring jacks..pic below

Attachments

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I believe you can still get the air dams from the dealer and ebay but I know the passenger side is discontinued. Your best bet is to find some one on here or your local JY.

·
Registered
11,040 Posts
This is imperative.

Before you change springs, measure the fender lip to the top of the rim, and write it down!!!! When you put the Impala springs in, measure the fender lip to the top of the rim again, and write it down next to the first measurement!!!! To adjust the camber, and it will change, remove 0.030 of shims, on all 4 stacks, for every 1/2 inch you lower the car. This is a tried and true camber adjustment when lowering the car. You must remove the same amount from each stack to keep your caster the same. You will not have to adjust anything else on the front end. You should check your toe-in, just in case it was not correct in the first place.

I will add one caveat, and that is; if you are experiencing uneven tire wear before lowering it to the Impala height, you need to have the camber set with a gauge/machine, and have the toe checked as well.

·
Premium Member
4,661 Posts
The "tried and true" is an approximation and will completely change depending on the relationship of inner upper pivot and upper ball joint height.

Example,
If the car is very high ride height, to start with,the upper ball joint will be below the inner pivot and lowering the car will gain pos camber.

If the car is low, to start with, the upper ball joint ill be above the inner and lowering will gain NEG camber.

Right height change-vs camber change is not a fixed number , in changes rate with effective arm angle with a cross over at the point where the upper is level.
This discounting the lower arc as it is much slower due to length .

In a perfect world the toe would not change with ride height but it does in a production "B" body.

·
Registered
11,040 Posts
The shim change works from standard Caprice ride height to a 2 inch drop, so it will work in the range that at least 95% of suspension changes occur. Very few will raise the car above the Caprice height, and the suspension loses almost all range of movement below a 2 inch spring drop. Since this car appears to be at Caprice ride height, it will work. If someone raises the car above standard Caprice ride height, you would have to add shims to correct for camber change. So within the range of height noted above, the 0.030 per half inch is a tried and true adjustment. It will keep the camber within the specs in the FSM, provided that the current suspension position is within the specs in the FSM. It works. I have tested it.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
This forum, ebay, craiglist are good sources to locate and find your missing air dam pieces. Looks like it's probably time to replace your shocks, coils, and check your suspension.

Where do you live? I have a stock set of rear springs that I've had sitting in my attic for over a year and half. Good luck with getting your ride dialed back in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts