Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I found a set of door panels on e-bay, and the guy said they are for 94-early95 Impala's. They look to be in good shape, but the door panels have a purple tint to them. Is this normal, cause I don't remember mine having this. I really need at least the rear left in the image shown and he said he would ship them both to me for $275. So I am wondering if this is normal or not and if it is a good deal.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
thats not too bad if it comes with the door pull bezels in the pic... As far as the purple its probally something he wiped on them over time changing tint, just wrap them in leather or recoat them in SEM dye light gray.
HTH you
:D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know what would work to take pain off the panel? My other one is painted black by the previous owner and I want it back to gray.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ahh, the PDP (Purple Door Panel) problem.

A bunch of 95s, but also some 94s and 96s, suffered from this. Namely, "something" GM used in the process of making the panels caused the panels to turn purple over time. When in contrast to the window control switches (which DIDN'T change color), well, the door panel came out to look "off" in comparison.

It was such a pervasive problem that more than a few SS owners back in that timeframe got GM to replace the panels for free under warranty! In fact, I wouldn't be shocked if some of those purple panels (which, other than the color issue, should be fine physically assuming they were stored properly) end up making it back into the used parts market ;)

To "fix" it, you'd be looking at re-dyeing the panel. Something like SEM could work well here. Would also make a great base if you wanted to try something "custom".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.