Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The radiator in my '96 Roadmaster popped. Internally. All my engine oil went into the radiator. In pulling the rad out of my parts car one of the oil cooler lines was frozen to the tube nut. They're extra deep for clearance and lots of steel line inside a steel nut to hang. In the past I've ended up just wringing off the end of the line and buying new lines. $$$

IF YOURS WILL STILL TURN CLEAN THEM UP AND PUT ANTI-SEIZE IN THERE NOW. It's tricky because you can't slide the nut far back. I put on my rubber gloves and just keep adding some at one end and sliding the nut down onto that then putting some at the other end and sliding the nut back that way while turning it.

The same cooler line is frozen on my keeper Buick and I could see it was not going to budge so I got a mini tubing cutter and made a clean cut where I could. That's right against the steering box so I had a bitch kitty getting some clearance even for that tiny cutter. I can put that back together with a compression fitting.

Meanwhile the stuck fitting is off the radiator and in a baggie with a bunch more PB Blaster soaking. If I can turn it I'll work some anti-seize into it. With it out of the car and away from flammable things I can also use some heat but I don't think it'll give that way.

·
Registered
354 Posts
X2 on that! I was attempting to undo the oil cooler line at the cooler in front.
Thought it was turning quite nicely when I realized that I was actually twisting the pipe instead. :mad:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts