Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like i gotta do it. I guess i'm not passing smog unless i put my air pump back on or atleast some part of it. I wanna do it soon also so i can do some new non smog friendly mods that i just purchased for my impy
.. can you tell i'm excited???

well now i wanna know how much of the air pump do i have to re-install to take my CE light off with my OBDII, and pass visual?
can i just take off the manifold plugs, plug the air pump back into them, and plug the air pump back up and get a TSB sticker? or do i have to reinstall the tubing that goes under the engine and completely reinstall the pump?
I'm sure someone has done it before

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just get the sticker that says that the Airpump has been properly disabled and removed. The sticker would prevent problems in that department. I've seen them floating around here before.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by SSlumpin Imp:
Looks like i gotta do it. I guess i'm not passing smog unless i put my air pump back on or atleast some part of it. I wanna do it soon also so i can do some new non smog friendly mods that i just purchased for my impy
.. can you tell i'm excited???

well now i wanna know how much of the air pump do i have to re-install to take my CE light off with my OBDII, and pass visual?
can i just take off the manifold plugs, plug the air pump back into them, and plug the air pump back up and get a TSB sticker? or do i have to reinstall the tubing that goes under the engine and completely reinstall the pump?
I'm sure someone has done it before
If you are getting CEL, try putting the pump back on and plug it in. See if that works and turns the CEL off. If not get Bryan to send you a program to delete the pump.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The PCM has to be reprogrammed or the code will continue, unless the entire AIR system is put back on, because the PCM on a '96 is looking for an indication from the O2s that the pump is running. The sticker will also have to be there. Technically, you are not supposed to remove anything. The procedure only calls for disabling the system, not removing it, and that could cause you to fail righ there if the inspector is anal enough.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wayne is right.

You are allowed to disable it but the pump, and all the parts, must remain on the car.

Even pre '73 cars are supposed to have whatever smog equipment they had on them. You just don't need to get the car smogged.

If a CHP want's to be a prick, he can write you up for deleting smog hardware. The fine for removing the CATS is about $900. They want the money!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think just plugging the pump in may take the CEL off as long as i run the car for a couple minutes. I'm going to try it today. hooking the pump back onto the manifolds and taking some vacuum line and running it under the engine and see how that goes. hopefully all is well and it cures my CEL. i'll let you guys know what happens.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just get the sticker, put just the pump back on, and have Bryan Herter reprogram for you. You should be alright then. At least that worked for me but it really depends on the smog tech. Might have to go to a few different places. The tech told me as long as the pump was on there he didn't mind that the exhaust manifolds were plugged. It just all depends on the tech....

-Brian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hate to spend money on a PCM i dont use. Its gonna be 75 plus the shipping both ways for brian to reprogram my OBDII. that's whack because once i'm done with the smog check, i'm throwing my OBDI back in and with the cam, i'll never be able to use my OBDII again.
sucks.. i'm gonna try to put the whole pump back on but use vacuum lines i guess instead of metal tubing for under the engine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I might have a savior for you bro! I to had the same problem as you , my whole air pump assembly was removed from my car and I did'nt even know it. I found out you can take your car to an referee and if you have that sticker you will be alright. I took my 95 caprice to a referee and at first he was trippin because I did'nt have the air pump ass. I showed him the sticker and he was still a little skeptical so he then went online, I don't know where online, but he checked it out and told me that everything was cool and preceeded with the test. So if you can get your hands on that sticker (I believe you can buy it from the Chevy dealer) If he gives you any grief tell him to check online about removing the air pump (especially if you have a 95)They allowed it because of moisture was evaporating in the intact tract, something like that
LOL

Well, good luck bro and I hope it goes well for ya...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well i think i'm just gonna go ahead and order the sticker anyways because its like a dollar to order it online and I think I'm gonna end up eventually needing it anyways.
By referee, do you mean smog tech? i'm kind of confused about that.
I think he probably looked up the TSB on the internet but the thing about the TSB is that it calls for a disabling of the air pump, but the hardware has to still be there. I know its gonna really matter more on who does the smog check.

Now the question i have is that if i plug up the smog pump and the relay, will my CE light go back off or do i have to hook up the manifolds also? Wayne is saying i need to hook it all up. I went to 2 dealerships today and they're asking 34 dollars for just the relay... but I think i can get my hands on one though. They are also refusing to reflash my computer becuase they weren't the ones to disable my air pump. They told me that they had to be the ones to do it or no go.
DAMN these smog regulations
I also doubt that I can go get my car smogged with my OBDI computer because the VIN # wont match correct, unless anyone has anything different to tell me???
If not, i gotta get rid of this damn CEL with my OBDII

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seems like someone here would have the parts you are missing available for the price of shipping plus a bit to make it worthwhile...

If the pump is plugged then you will still get the code, because the PCM is specifically looking for increased oxygen in the exhaust when the pump comes on.

You are correct about it being about the person doing the inspection. Just because one person got lucky does not mean you will. On the subject of OBDII and cams, why won't you be able to use it and how do you expect to get through emissions without it? It does not really even have to run worth a darn as long as there are no codes and OBDII is in place...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I see from most post that the AIR pump delete takes place on '95 - '96 also, I've seen threads stating with LT1 engines. I have a '94 with LT1 so, I ask could I also, do the delete? Then slap a sticker on and go have the test done.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The TSB does not cover the '94 year. I don't know why not.

The only difference is that we don't have the secondary o2 sensors (OBDI). Our air pumps suffer the same fate, but we are still required to run them. Mine has been deleted, but I left the old metal piping and relay in the engine bay in case some (MD) emissions inspector gets overzealous. I figure you might as well leave it in since you're in California.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SSlumpin Imp, a "referee" is a state mandated SMOG only station. A SMOG tech is a state licensed technician who works for any place that does SMOG checks.
If you fail a SMOG check and get labeled as a "gross polluter" you will have to go to a "referee station" The referee is the judge and executioner here in CA.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's the deal. (1) Go to your local GM dealer and order the sticker, part #12569123. Put the sticker on your door jamb or under the hood where is it visible. (2) Get your PMC reprogrammed so it doesn't throw codes - because if you have a 96 or newer vehicle you'll have to pass the PCM hook up test and it won't pass if you are showing any codes. (3) Go to a local test station and show them the sticker and explain that the pump was deactivated per GM procedures and since it was deactivated you took it out!!!!!!!! Ask if they'll pass you on the visual, based on GM delete procedures. If they say NO! - go to another test station. Many of the stations, including referree stations, will pass you without the pump in the engine bay because of the GM deactivation procedures. You will get someone to pass you visually, all you have to do is pass based on PCM access (no codes) and a clean engine.

The pump only works up to 2,200 RPM or for several minutes at idle - then it shuts off. GM put them in the cars initially to prolong CAT life because GM has to warranty smog stuff for 50,000 miles. They finally realized after replacing a bunch (and I mean a BUNCH!) of pumps that it was cheaper to replace CATS (infrequently)for their cost of under $100 instead of $250 pumps (very frequently).

Hope this helps!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by Dragula:
The TSB does not cover the '94 year. I don't know why not.

The only difference is that we don't have the secondary o2 sensors (OBDI). Our air pumps suffer the same fate, but we are still required to run them. Mine has been deleted, but I left the old metal piping and relay in the engine bay in case some (MD) emissions inspector gets overzealous. I figure you might as well leave it in since you're in California.
Why? That's simple, it was out of warranty when GM decided to start disabling them.

'95s only have 1 set of O2s. '96 was the first year for OBDII

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Few notes :

1. The Air pump costs $107 from Dal, not $250. Ask me how I know this ;) . GM's cost is less. That said, the TSB was still because even at (relatively) the same cost per part, the cats still would long outlast the air pump.

2. The pump design itself is fine, it is GM's lack designing a $5 check valve worth a damn that takes out the pump.

3. Wayne : that is the case with OBD-II smog in TX (and some other states) that it is only a plug-in and readiness monitor check. In CA, we have to pass the plug-in, readiness, visual AND tailpipe (and ALL of them) on an OBD-II car. And the tailpipe is now on the dyno in many parts of CA, which is tougher to pass than the old idle/2500 test (i.e. what TX now requires for 95 and older cars). The new dyno test is stringent enough that aftermarket cats (i.e. Random Tech, etc) don't clean up enough to reliably pass it (on any car 94-96), so in CA you'd be wise to keep around a set of stock cats and perform a "coating refresh" on your nice aftermarket headers every 2 years.

Let's just say I'm not gonna have fun this fall when smog comes due on the SS :( .

Only "upside" to here is that NEW cars don't have to smog for FOUR years.....and legislation is pending (that is expected to pass) to make that SIX years for anything 2000 and newer. As a result, I may not be smogging my WRX until 2008!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
dude please read what everyone is posting

ATTN B-BODY owners GET THE STICKER, problem solved.

and if you live in arizona, and you own a 96 and up car, they no longer look under your hood and run the dyno run, all they do is plug a hand held OBD2 into computer and your done, in 5mins.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.