Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ima treating my wife to one for our upcoming trip to Germany to visit the daughter.

Apparently, you need an unlocked phone to stick in the pre-paid SIM cards available online for the country you're visiting. Her current phone is kinda old so I figure her local provider will be glad to discount a new phone in order to rope her into a new contract. I just need to make sure they're willing to supply the phone already unlocked, which I hear can be a challenge.

It appears that US uses 2 freqs, and other parts of the world use 2 other diff freqs than ours - hence four bands.

You've now exceeded everything I know about the topic. What's the hot name out there now for cellphones? Not for all the thousand other apps, just want best quality equipment to make dependable phone calls.

Thanks,

Oh, here's a link of some prospects;
http://www.nextag.com/unlocked-quad-band-camera-phones/stores-html?nxtg=83de0a1c0519-B1198D2A7023DE11

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
You dont have to have a pre paid sim to the country your visiting. Most allow you to maintain your wireless provider. You can ask for a temporary international plan while your there.

Depends how long youll be in the country. If your there for months on end, might be benifical to go your route. As the minutes are over $1-2 min.

Whos your provider?

·
Registered
678 Posts
As far as getting an unlocked phone from your carriers, they probably won't sell you one unlocked, but if you call your Customer service line, and tell them you're going to Europe, they will often supply the necessary codes to unlock the phone. Especially since you've been a customer for long enough to be due an upgrade. If not, you can do a lot of phones with codes from unlockitnow.com Find a phone you like, do a google search on it plus the word "unlock" and you should be able to find out if its unlockable before you buy it.

All of this assumes you're on a gSM network not CDMA. Sprint and Verizon for some reason have to do things differently than everyone else in the world.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
well im with at&t. when i went to the bahamas my cell switched from at&t to Bah Tel Cell. moral of the story is my cell phone bill was $300+ when i came back. international calling will get ya. they told me next time to add a few international minutes to my plan b4 i go outta the country next time.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
AT&T works well in Europe, just add $4.00 international add on feature..no SIM card needed. To my knowledge Verizon and some other U.S carriers use a different band that's useless in foreign countries.

·
Registered
201 Posts
But Sprint and Verizon do have some world phones. They use CDMA in the us and have a sim card slot as well for international use.

Also I think it would help to tell us what provider you have.

·
Registered
8,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
AT&T works well in Europe, just add $4.00 international add on feature..no SIM card needed. To my knowledge Verizon and some other U.S carriers use a different band that's useless in foreign countries.
I want to say Cingular is her carrier. I intended to check a bill last night-forgot. Whichever it is I've had that service since '92 so they're always caving to my demands for a real expensive new phone to keep our account. Cingular is one that uses 'GSM' which is apparently a pre-requisite for use overseas if I want to go that route. Her phone is maybe a couple years old and I'm pretty sure it is not quad-band, - which I believe is the minimum buyin required to pick up the two non-US bands. Cell phones in the US work at GSM 1900 or 850. Cell phones in Europe work on GSM 900 or 1800.

I looked at 'Slowtrav' site that steps through the call options. Granted going with your normal American carrier is most convenient, but they all seem to charge international rates which would get pretty costly. And I wanted to treat the wife of pratteling on endlessly about nothing over there at her heart's content with our daughter for the cheapest poss cost.
http://www.slowtrav.com/europe/cell_phones.htm

So what are the hot ticket phones out now? I seen one where you play with it with your finger and it moves screens around like Cruise did in 'The Minority Report'.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts