Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone thought if it would be possible to put Quadrasteer like the Silverado pickups have on an Impala SS?

I saw a commercial for the new Silverado recently, and I cannot get this idea out of my mind....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
what are you smoking and where can i get some?
actuaally the solid rear axle would have to be swapped out for something like a dana 44 front axle of some kind... i know the big time competition off road guys love doing 4 wheel steering but its a big bux and labor and fabrication intensive deal... just how bad do you want to turn as tight as a geo tracker? lol

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quadrasteer is a "drive by wire" system that is entirely different than what the off road guys fab up. Quadrasteer controls which direction the rear wheels turn depending on speed sensors. For example: if you are in a parking lot, driving at low speeds, and turn to the right, the rear wheels turn towards the left to give you the tighter turning radius. However, if you are on the E-way at high speeds and change lanes to the right, when you turn the front wheels to the right the rears also, then, turn to the right to give a more normal feel.
Lots of computers involved instead of some fabbed up front suspension someone slapped into the back.
Not that it would be easy. Just imagine how tight of a donut you could peel off, though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Our cars do come with quadrasteer...
Of coarse we all know about how to work the front wheels, but the rear wheels can be turned by the proper use of the gas and brake pedal :cool:

At least thats how I comfort my need for quadtrasteer until I get a vehicle with it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just fyi-
Take a look at the 4ws prelude from several years ago. It uses mechanical linkage to turn the rear steering rack... but it is a front wheel drive car=easy to do. The Nissan 300zx had a Hicas II system that used a powered electrical( I think) steering rack on the rear wheels. It was pretty sophisticated,including accelerometers and steering position sensors. It had the ability at moderate speeds to turn the rear wheels opposite the fronts( ala forklift) to kick the car around and then to return to steering with the front wheels. Pretty cool. I am sure it would really help the B-body get around corners.
sorry for the long post -l8tr - Scott

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.