Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 96 ss i ran it during the summer and got a 15.1 since then i deleted the cats, new opti, msd wires, ac delco plugs, waterpump, t-stat, air pump delete. new filter on my k&n intake. iam goin back 2 the track next weekend. iam goin to pull my headlight and empty my trunk. iam hoping 2 get into the 14s even if its a 14.99 any pionters on small things i can do this week to help?

·
Registered
399 Posts
You should dip into the 14's with the changes you've made. Dropping weight and having grip is important. Focus on lowering your 60 foot times. I took my Roadmaster out last week with about a 1/2 tank of gas and about 20 pounds in the car. My car was about 4420 with me in it. My first run was a 15.03. The best I could do was a 14.97 @ 91.22 with a 2.21 60ft. When I stalled the car too much, it would spin at take off so, I had to tone it down a bit. I still have the old whitewalls on the car.

My mods are: 2.25" Summit turbo mufflers on stock piping, 3" pvc intake pipe, cut air airbox, air pump delete, 160 t-stat w/ a 87 octane pcm tune. I'm still running the original spark plugs and wires. If you can launch good and get lower 60ft times, you should be somewhere between the mid to high 14 second area.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alright thanks man. on the 15.1 run i got a 2.25 60' speed was 93 i think. car hooks good. iam running 9.5 rims on a 275/40/17 bfg comp ta tire

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
If you can work that 60' down to 2.1 you should be able to get into the 14's with no changes at all. I actually get some of my best 60's when babying it off the line, when running street tires. It is really dependent on how good of track prep you can get, though.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ya the track is decent for grip. with the new plugs and wires it noticed its alot more responsive when i pin it. the old plugs were junk i think they were stock. ill try a launch off idle and alittle stall and see what works..

·
Premium Member
2,705 Posts
With the cooler weather this weekend, you''ll have no trouble getting itnto the 14's.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thats what i was thinking to. that y iam pulling the headlight, to try and get some cold air in there after sitting in the staging lanes forever..

·
Registered
104 Posts
Re: Quarter Mile Time

Man, those are good times compared to mine. I went Tuesday night to IRP (aka O'Reilly). Professional track prep that night with VHT etc. Temps were in the low 60's at 7:00 pm and mid 50's by 9:00. DA was about 400'.

Best run was 15.314 @ 87.25. All the others were 15.3xx with one at 15.401. Trap speeds varied from 88.87 to 86.75.

My mods are: Swiss cheese air box, K&N panel filter, Home Depot intake, first base and home plate delete, TB bypass. I have a new MSD opti rotor and cap, MSD wires and coil. Camaro EGR. 160* stat and PCMforless tune.

I can't find my weight slip, but with the trailer hitch, me and a bit less than 1/2 tank of gas, I would guess close to 4800# maybe?

My 60' times were all around 2.2 sec. 1000' times is what I don't understand. Best was 10.524, but the ET was my slowest at 15.401 and trap speed on that run was 2nd best at 88.49. Worst 1000' was @ 12.836 but it yielded my second fastest ET of 15.393 @86.75

I did a short burnoff thru the water before most of the runs and when I had a quieter car next to me and could hear, I left with just a short chirp.

How can the best 1000' time yield the slowest ET? How can slow 1000' yield 2nd fast ET and slowest trap speed?

What is my next best (and cheapest) mod to improve my times? I am guessing that adding a cat back would give me the most bang for my somewhat limited budget.

Thanks
Greg

Oh, my son, driving the car formerly known as mine, the '02 Buick Regal GS was running 13.4's on street tires.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
alright went to the track 2night. came right off the highway into tech. pulled the headlight and went for a run. got a 2.10 60' pulled off a 14.51 at 95!. iam pumped with that. deff faster than i was guessing it would be..

·
Registered
399 Posts
alright went to the track 2night. came right off the highway into tech. pulled the headlight and went for a run. got a 2.10 60' pulled off a 14.51 at 95!. iam pumped with that. deff faster than i was guessing it would be..
Now that's more like it. Those are good numbers. As soon as I get a new set of tires, I'm going back. The cooler weather is perfect.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now that's more like it. Those are good numbers. As soon as I get a new set of tires, I'm going back. The cooler weather is perfect.
iam pumped with those numbers from a stock drivetrain. i think pulling the headlight deff. helped winter time ill put on my headers, gears and stall pushing for 13s next year

·
Registered
262 Posts
Not bad at all.

Some gears would help you break 13's. Huge difference.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
alright been awhile but i got back up 2 the track 2 take use of the cold weather. iam now running et street drag radials, and got rid of the tail pipes, just dumped over the axel now. got a 2.03 60' and pulled a 14.2 at 96:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts