Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best way to re-attach a 96 RM wagon quarter window? I'm thinking 2-sided epoxy tape, because that's what I've got.

Yesterday was a red-letter day for the RM. I tried to pull a u-turn at an intersection ([email protected] roads here are all divided 4-lanes so you can't turn left out of a parking lot), so I went right, got to the next intersection, the RM was too long to u-turn into the road so I went into the parking lot on the other side of the street. Found a wide spot and started a 180, was greeted with a "flop-flop-flop" sound followed by a hiss, followed by noticing the car was leaning to the driver's side, followed by it being bleedin' obvious (even to me) that the driver's front tire was flat. All in a minute or two - pretty big leak.

So I called CAA (and I'd almost left home without my cellphone!!!), they would come and roadside-assist but there'd be a ~30 minute wait. So I bit the bullet, pulled the cover off the spare tire well, hauled out the spare - those suckers are heavy, getting too old for this - it was the original spare and had never been on the car; still full of air. Jack and lug nut wrench were still held together with blacktape, I felt like a wrecker unbolting them, but I got the spare on and cancelled the roadside assistance.

The tires are Firestone Destination LE's, several years old but lots of tread left - I bought them for my old '95 RM sedan, they did two years on it then sat in the shed since it was killed several years ago, I doubt they have 20,000 miles on them. The flat tire had picked-up a short pebble that drove into the tread at an angle, and tore the tire carcase - hence the flapping noise. Unimpressed. So I replaced them all on-spec' - but when I got back, I discovered the guy, who'd helpfully reassembled the spare into the well, had put the cover on sloppily and popped the latch on the quarter window - and the quarter window's hinge adhesive had let-go, and it was hanging off the car by the latch.

What's the "approved" way to re-attach the quarter window? Even the possibility that it might've broken, sickens me - the wagon is a fleet-purchase funeral home flower car, and the whole back of the car came from the factory with smoked glass. The window seems held in place by the latch, but I want it properly reattached because I know I'm not lucky enough to get it back undamaged, next time that latch pops loose.

So, two downers on the day:

1) the flat tire. The old tires had "Made in Canada" stamped on the sidewalls, the new ones (Firestone Destination LE3's - the only big tires in the correct wagon size (225/75R-15) he could get that "might not" be made in China) apparently have a "factory designator" there somewhere on the sidewall. Maybe one day I'll go to the effort to decipher them... $940 on the day, but it saves me another $thousand - they should last me ten years, so I can stop looking for alloy rims to take the car up to 17" tires...

2) As I'd suspected, the bottom is pretty well rotted-out of the spare tire well. I'm hoping the guy did not drop the spare back into the well, because if he did, it's really a wonder it didn't go right on through. Another area for rust-busting - sigh...

·
Registered
11,534 Posts
Nothing seems to work well. I have a couple of the windows available.

·
Registered
11,534 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took it to Speedy Glass (ask for them by name - they have windshields), they glued it back on with the urethane adhesive they use for that; taped the window down so it could cure, and didn't charge me anything! :D Double-faced epoxy tape was my intended back-up, it's what I use to re-attach the rubber moulding on the side trim, but we're on the highway the next two days so I'll worry about it - and un-taping the window - after we get to our destination.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I've used a high quality epoxy with success. Do not use cheap Harbor Freight epoxy.

I prepped by sanding the glass area with 220 grit wet sandpaper. You need the good stuff because glass is hard to sand of course. Then clean with alcohol, acetone, brake cleaner, then epoxy the hinge and clamp it for 3 days. I did this all off the car of course. The hardest part is getting the hinge in the exact old location on the glass. Luckily IIRC the hinge has some fudge built in to the holes on the car side.

I also don't dare open the window anymore beyond unlatching it. LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts