Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I'm running my system off of two batteries... how do I connect the two batteries to one another? I already have a 4 gauge cable running from the trunk to the engine bay. I've been told that I need a fuse in between them. Some also say I should have an isolator, but is the isolator necessary? Thanks for the help.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
no need for an islolator.

connect the power wire to the positive side of each battery.

place a fuse within 18" or less of each positive terminal.

make the ground as short as possible.

done!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by PIMPALA--SS:
no need for an islolator.

connect the power wire to the positive side of each battery.

place a fuse within 18" or less of each positive terminal.

make the ground as short as possible.

done!

+1. The only need for an isolator is if you are going to play it for long periods of time, like at shows, with the car off. If you have an isolator and the battery goes dead, turn the key and start your motor.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So it is necessary to have two fuses? You can't just use one? This is how I have things set up right now:

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah- you need 2 fuses. Its not about saving your equipment, its safety in case you get into a wreck. A 4 guage wire can tranfer a lot of current and start a fire easy. Its your car, but I'd spend the money on a fuse or a circuit breaker. IMO

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes, you need two fuses.

one at each battery, as close to the positive post as possible (less than 12" would be ideal). the reason for this, is because if there (like mentioned) was an accident, or the wire shorted out at the front of the car, the fuse at the front would pop, and keep the #1 battery frmo exploding, and the wire burning.

however, the battery in the rear of the car would still be attached to 15 or so feet of live wire, and it could easily cause a fire burning the entire length of the car, and or an explosion of a battery that sits directly on top of your fuel tank.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay... I have a second fuse sitting around so I'll connect that. What about the question in my other thread regarding RCA cables? Will that work, or do I need to buy a longer cable?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's pretty much how I have mine set up

250 alt - Optima - Fuse - isolator - battery - both amps

My fuse is about 6 inches from the battery, my grounds are no more than 12 inches from the batteries and the amps.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any way to run 2 batteries like that with the stock alternator? Any other things that need to be done to put the 2nd battery in the trunk such as having the battery in a sealed box with a vent tube or just make sure its strapped down?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by cashmoneyspeed:
Any way to run 2 batteries like that with the stock alternator? Any other things that need to be done to put the 2nd battery in the trunk such as having the battery in a sealed box with a vent tube or just make sure its strapped down?

If it is a sealed type battery (Optima, stinger,etc) then it can just be in the trunk. If not, get one. Make sure it is secure, They weigh alot and well come into your car in a bad wreck. I have three batteries run off of the stock alternator and it does pretty good. I do intend to get a big alt later. If you have the 140 amp alt, you should be fine. If not, get at least a 140.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea, get a gel cell (Optima).

I have mine in the trunk but after doing some fish tailing, it broke loose and but a nice dent in my quarter panel. Yea, make sure it is strapped....

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info. How big of fuses are you guys running between the batteries?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts