Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on another forum, just trying to get suggestions.

Yesterday I tried using a test light between the negative post and cable as suggested. I then removed each fuse and mini relay one at a time and checked the light. The light stayed bright regardless of which one I had removed. So I'm thinking either I have more than one drain or it's not on a fused circuit. The alternator is new and charging. The battery only goes dead if I don't drive it for 3-5 days. After a week of sitting the battery is drained completely. I pretty sure it's not battery (although I'll replace it after I find the drain) because it was doing this when my dad installed this battery. He drove it daily so it didn't bother him. This is my 3rd vehicle and it doesn't see the road too much. Could it be starter solenoid or does anyone have any other ideas. Lastly it's a 93 limited my dad bought new and I'm the second owner. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Check the trunk light, I had the switch go bad (or whatever it is that makes it go on and off when you open the trunk) and the light would stay on all the time when the trunk was closed. If it sat for more than 2 days it would kill the battery...

·
Registered
347 Posts
i would check the alternator, just unplug the harness, and unbolt the b+ wire.
its rare but i have seen alternators drain batteries.

hope that helps

·
Registered
557 Posts
Until you find the problem.

The battery only goes dead if I don't drive it for 3-5 days. After a week of sitting the battery is drained completely. I pretty sure it's not battery . Lastly it's a 93 limited. Thanks.
I have also heard of the trunk light staying on and killing the battery.

Until you find what is cauing the drain on your battery.

I would disconnect the battery cables,
so you do not need a jump each time you want to use the Buick.

Wutz

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
Whoo- Hoo!!

I'm glad this thread popped up. My SS just started doing this, new Battery keeps draining. I'll check the trunk tonight.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
the thing with the trunk light would be because the mercury switch probly being messed up on the hing of the driver side of the trunk but also my glovebox light use to stay on all the time and the only reason I noticed was because it was dark one night when I got in the car and I could see the light, also is there anything aftermarket that you put in? like subs, lights, or anything electrical that isn't factory??? I had a capacitor go bad which caused my battery go bad.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
ive had the same problem because i don't rive my car much so i had it checked out and it was the mecury switch in the hood light i disconected the wire and the battery in fine now make sure to check out the trunk light as well

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
Trunk light isnt the problem. Drat!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies. The car is stock with no aftermarket items on it. I've checked and the trunk and hood lights go out when closed. I'm going to try the alternator first and wait a week or so and see if it goes dead. After that I'm going to disconnect the trunk and hood light since so many have had the problem. Keep the suggestions coming and thanks again.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. The car is stock with no aftermarket items on it. I've checked and the trunk and hood lights go out when closed. I'm going to try the alternator first and wait a week or so and see if it goes dead. After that I'm going to disconnect the trunk and hood light since so many have had the problem. Keep the suggestions coming and thanks again.
leave the hood light unplugged for a few days and see what happens ?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
theres actualy a very easy way to check it I just don't remember how to do it, but you have to use a volt meter and disconect a battery terminal and when theres something trying to pull power the volt meter starts to read a number, but i'm going to try and find out tomarow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts