Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what I plan, I've done the SS rearend change before on my old wagon, this time to get the most tire under it, I'm thinking go with an SS/sedan rearend disk brake swap to move the SS wheels in about perfectly, then how much could I add to the rim on the outer side of the wheel to widen it safely while still fitting. Maybe an inch, making it a 17x9.5 while maintaining stock BS and perfect clearance to frame while getting another inch of rim outside? I think this will work, I just haven't test fitted the stock SS wheels yet. Any thoughts/comments on this?

· Registered
11,643 Posts
The sedan rear is 2 inches narrower than the wagon rear. You can do the math from there. The sedan rear has thinner axles at the bearing race than the wagon as well.

· Registered
8,014 Posts
Typically when a rim is widened. Material is added to the "barrel",not the face. The backspacing will grow by the same amount of the added width.

· Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On my way...just purchased a '96 SS rearend with low miles locally yesterday. Sounds like I'm heading in the right direction, thanks for the input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.