Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,
while gathering the parts needed to hook up my new nitrous works kit, i remembered that i have a brand new msd start/retard control box (p/n 8982)that i bought for an older project and never used. it works in conjunction with my msd 6al and window switch to retard the timing while using the spray by plugging in different timing degree pills. my question is this: is the starting retard function usable? i mean, is it worth hooking up at all? it's preset from the factory to provide 10 degrees (optionally 25 for super high compression mills) of retard at startup and installation is simple enough, it only involves running a single wire directly to the starter solenoid. should i hook this feature up? are there any downfalls to using this on a late model, computer controlled engine? any ideas are appreciated, and thanks in advance.

brandon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I haven't checked, but I'd be willing to bet that the computer retards the spark during starting already.

The start retard function is designed for non-computer-controlled cars. Those guys don't have the flexibility in timing that we do, since they have to control the timing curve with springs and weights. If they want to run an aggressive timing curve at high rpm, they don't always have the flexibility to run the optimum timing at startup.

Like I said, I haven't checked any of this out, but I don't know anyone that runs the start retard feature. The computer should take care of that automatically.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the MSD 8982 retard box hooked upto my nitrous kit and I just use it for retarding at high RMP's. You can bypass start-up very easily. If you have instructions they will tell you. I have retard 2degress for every 50 shot. Right now I'm retarding 3 degrees for my 75 shot. Need to keep her on the road

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.