Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would a 270 lb object (safe) that's 1.75 feet by 1.3 feet be a problem in an ordinarily constructed house? I would think not, but I'd hate to see it go crashing through the floor, so I thought I'd ask the experts. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always shut off the lights and draw the curtains when he's in the area. So I don't know.

·
ISSF Honey Badger
27,205 Posts
Just for that I'm gonna bust through the side of your house like the Hey Kool-Aid guy!

·
95 imp's bestest buddy
11,892 Posts
I've had 100 gallon aquariums before and those weigh close to 1000 lbs so I'm gonna say it ain't a problem.

·
Premium Member
6,032 Posts
Erik, are you now storing evidence instead of burying it? I know what happen in that last case with Max Cady...smh.

·
Premium Member
15,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just for that I'm gonna bust through the side of your house like the Hey Kool-Aid guy!
Great. You and Paul both?

I'm storing the first layer of defense. The evidence, well...I could tell you but I'd have to kill you.

Good point about aquariums Quag. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,742 Posts
What kind of floor? What kind of home construction? There are no basements around here (in fact, I've never even seen a basement), so the floor is 2ft of concrete. I'm oblivious to any other kinds of construction.

·
Premium Member
15,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The flat kind? Joists with flooring on top. If you don't have a basement, you are missing one of man's true pleasures.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Would a 270 lb object (safe) that's 1.75 feet by 1.3 feet be a problem in an ordinarily constructed house? I would think not, but I'd hate to see it go crashing through the floor, so I thought I'd ask the experts. Thanks.
you should be alright. 18" wide?

if so, the joists are generally 16" apart.

for extra safety, try to get it over 2 of them and on an outside wall, or over a wall in the basement. those would be the strongest areas.

if you notice a bow or craking drywall in the basement ceiling, you did it wrong.

oh, the good news, if it does fall through, give me a call and i'll fix it. :D

·
Registered
8,258 Posts
Figure 40-50psf total ave. live load for residence with a basement. At 3sf concentrated load you can kinda picture the loading extending out a foot or so in all directions beyond, so you got like maybe 12sf to spread that weight. You're well within safe bounds.

You're in CT? FWIW, ima guess you can get all 8,000 rounds of your ammo in there too.

Oh BTW, I ain't no engineer so you can't sue me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Like 95 imp said, as long as its wider than 16" you will be fine. if the safe is tall and skinny (like a 10"x10" footprint) then you may run into problems. lol.

but most safes are designed to be wider than the joists, so i doubt you have any issues.

·
Premium Member
15,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cool. Thanks all. Up against an outside wall and over two joists it is. And I'm not up to 8,000 rounds...yet.

·
Premium Member
6,032 Posts
Hey Erik, I finally know what you can get me for Christmas, and NO! not herpes like you got BK last year. You seem to be firearm informed...I might need to converse with you shortly.

·
Premium Member
15,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BK was supposed to keep that quiet.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Video tape or it didn't happen.

Two hundred and seventy pounds shouldn't even be a question, some furnature weighs more then that. A king size water bed holds around 180 gallons, times 8.35 per gallon your at 1500lbs, not including the couple hundred lbs for the frame, then occupants.

, ima guess you can get all 8,000 rounds of your ammo in there too.
Depending on the height (which he didn't give us) and type of ammo, .22LR or .30-06 or .50 BMGcwm4, a hell of a lot more (or less if .50 cal).
NOT THAT I WOULD KNOW any of this first hand. ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts