Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you put in a new lower control arm to position the rear wheel in the wheel well how hard is it to position the axle to get the mounting brackets of the control arm to mount up to the new location for the new control arm. I know that the control arm that was taken out will be longer (shorter) then the new control arm being put in and I was wondering if it was extremely hard to move the axle back and forth on the floor jack to get the bracket holes on the axle and frame line up with the new controlling arms. How much of a difference is between the two control arms, (stock vs. new)? also how long does it take to do this project

------------------
SlP Induction, GMS MAF, Cat delete, Borla cat back w/ xr-1 sportsman mufflers, Hypertec Power Program 2 (didn’t know about ED, when I got this)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
When I put in the Metco's (3/4" extended), moving the axle back was not too bad, I pryed one side over, first side took a little grunt work, put bolts through, other side went real easy. The real pain was installing the new bushings for the upper arms. (you got to do uppers and lowers if extending) The installation tool they make was a big help. Use a good quality puller and file a little off the edge and lube it to help get it started.

------------------

96 DGGM SS
Mike Reese
Cape Coral, FL :)
Lots of mods, but never enough!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The lowers are fairly easy,but don't forget that you are also going to have to replace the uppers...... You can't install extended lowers without installing extended uppers - well, you *can* but it's not considered an intelligent move due to the damage to and vibration from your drivetrain.

Installing my GW lowers took me about 2 hours in the driveway. I've never done uppers, but since you are going to be removing them, it's probably time to install new bushings and from what I hear, those are a real bear.

------------------

Gene, 96 DGGM

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys!

------------------
SlP Induction, GMS MAF, Cat delete, Borla cat back w/ xr-1 sportsman mufflers, Hypertec Power Program 2 (didn’t know about ED, when I got this)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Uhhh... "Brewbawgs"? try Brewdawg!

Yeah my mech broke an air hammer getting my uppers off. I WAS going to do them myself but I'll glad I didn't.

Mike
aka Brewdawg (as in, I brew my own beer)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.