Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a set of control arms but need the spindle lower ball joint hole to be much larger ass the lower ball joints i have are the larger 5/8" ones i think not sure i know they are larger then the normal impala ss spindles cause that is what i have and the larger lowers dont go thru the holes on my spindles with smaller holes.

if i remembered correctly which cars come with the larger lower ball joints i know the fleetwood limos, and armored b-bodies do but those are alot harder to find in a junkyards does the Caprice 9c1 come with the larger lower ball joints? any help on this subject would be great, and once i figure this out if there is anyone with a set of driver and pass side spindles for the larger joints please let me know as well as i need to put this car back together a.s.a.p.

·
Premium Member
6,458 Posts
The lower control arms are different for the 2 ball joint sizes. Did you replace the ball joints that WERE on the car with the larger (5/8") size using the same control arms? The concern will be that the stamped ball joint boss is now stretched and the metal is possibly torn, which will result in poor retention of the ball joint. If that is the case, fix it before you put the car back on the road!

The correct GM lower control arms for the larger ball joints have been discontinued for several years.

If your LCA's are good, you will want to find a 10 degree reamer (2" per foot) to cut the existing taper deeper for the larger ball stud--Coleman Racing, Speedway Motors, or Stock Car Products all have the tool--or a machine shop that can re-size the lower ball stud holes for you.

If you add up the cost of the tool and the time at the machine shop, and also consider what 13+ years of use has done to your existing knuckles (ie. spindles), it is just about as cost effective to replace the knuckles with the correct new 5/8" parts--GM still has them, PN 18021377 & 18021378--about $60 each cost, and probably close to $150 to purchase, delivered.

If you have more questions based on this reply, ask away--or PM me. I can help, but nothing "a.s.a.p."....

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bill thank you for the insight but i guess i should have been a littl more specific in my first post the reason why i have this dilemma is cause i had i bought a set of lower control arms off a forum member and they were for the larger ball joints (i guess for the 9c1's as been pointed out) and the car these are going on are a 95 SS which takes the smaller ball joints. thats why i have this problem i totally forgot that there was 2 lower ball joint sizes.

thanks for the input and thanks for the part numbers i wonder how much they are lol

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have a lead on a set shipped cheap off a 95' 9c1 lt1 car can anyone tell me for sure if these have the larger ball joints? Bill could you chime in here if possible. is there a suspension code on the spid label that will help me identify if the car has them or not?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I don't think there is anything on the SPID label -- that would be too easy. My earlier Caprice has small BJs and the later one has large. That is all I can tell you for sure. That means you will have to find the build date (tag on driver's door) and/or the VIN and see where it fits.

·
Premium Member
6,458 Posts
how about the numbers to the dust shields would you happen to know those Zach?
Discontinued, PN 18019850/18019851

EDIT--you can make your own from standard shields, or contact me, I can help with this.

i have a lead on a set shipped cheap off a 95' 9c1 lt1 car can anyone tell me for sure if these have the larger ball joints? Bill could you chime in here if possible. is there a suspension code on the spid label that will help me identify if the car has them or not?
Just as Terry has indicated--no way to know. 95 had both, no published VIN break, and nothing on the SPIL that will provide any differentiation.

Still, makes more sense to buy new knuckles that are correct than taking a chance on 14 year old parts.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Socket size will be different depending on if you have the original ball joints or replacements. It might even be different depending on the brand of replacement.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.