Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up until recently I have never really cared about the Car Show part of our "Sport" but my dad purchased a 96 Impala SS that almost fits in the Stock class. I've got questions about the allowable modificiations that have already been done to it from general maintenance and what we can do to get it back to "Stock" for the shows.

Visual Modification Classes
There will be four (4) visual modification classes. These classes are based on the number of visual modifications that have been made to an otherwise GM Factory Stock B-body Vehicle. It is important to note that 1-color window tint will not be considered a modification in any class. The visual modifications allowed per class and the respective description is as follows:

· Stock 0 modifications

Please note that if you are uncertain about any modification that you have made, plan to make or was made prior to your ownership, please consult the National Car Show Judge before the show for clarification.

Stock
Stock is defined as the way the vehicle was shipped from the factory. Any visible modification will place the vehicle into the next higher modification class. (Examples: Red Bow Tie, Cross Flags, CD Changer, etc.) There are several EXCEPTIONS as follows:
1. Tires – Since BFG has discontinued the OE Comp-TA’s in P255/50ZR-17 size; you will be allowed to replace them with any brand you choose. However, they must be in the factory P255/50ZR-17 size and speed rating.
Are V-rated tires still considered Z-rated?

2. Exhaust – Due to the age of these vehicles, many may have needed a new exhaust system. Any muffler may be used as long as the factory size exhaust tubing remains. Resonators must still be intact. No muffler deletes, catalytic converter deletes and no “H” or “X” pipes allowed.
That's cool, but he's got the stock exhaust up to the exhaust tips. What do we need to do to get this back to stock? I have an extra set of factory tips, but they are not in good condition. Will we have problems with straightning them and refinishing them?

3. Windshields – Must be to GM factory specifications for year of vehicle (e.g. no Sungate windshields allowed prior to 1995.)
If the car originally came with a Sungate and that had to be replaced with a non-Sungate windshield due to availability and/or price, will there be any problems?

4. Windshield Wipers – These must be factory stock or OEM replacements. No 9C1 style allowed.
The paint on his car's windshield wiper arms is chipping. I've noticed that on several other B-bodies, including my own. If we strip that and repaint or powdercoat in black, will we have any problems?

5. Batteries – Any battery is allowed as long as it is in the GM factory location.
Does it matter if it is side post AND top post? I'm guessing not.

6. Spare Tire – Factory Spare Tire and Rim P215/75R-15. Spare tire must be in factory location. The factory spare tire cover will be removed at judging time to verify the correct spare tire and rim are present.
Will there be any problems if the factory tire has been used or if it was replaced with another tire of the same size and speed&load rated?

7. Factory Side Scripts – Must be in place and of GM factory body color.
ok, are these still available from GM? If not, what do we do? Would sidescripts from MBA in black (for a black car) work?

8. Spark Plug Wires – Must be GM Factory wires and OEM replacements. No colored aftermarket wires.
The Factory wires are VERY GOOD. Other than having to repair 1 wire, the ones in my car have been good up until recently. I'm at 145k miles.

9. Floor mats – Must be GM factory mats with snap on front mats. These will be checked at judging time. No carpet changes allowed.
I question the carpet change rule. As these cars age, the carpet wears in the ones that actually get driven. It's a wear item. New carpet is no longer available from GM. Tom Frederico stepped up a few years ago to offer a factory quality or better quality carpet for us. I question why we should be punished with replacing a wear item with his carpet if we stay with the same OEM color?

10. Headlight Bulbs –Must be GM factory bulbs or OEM replacements. No hyper-whites, blue-ions or HID replacements or T-84’s allowed. These will be turned on at judging time.
What about alterations to the headlight's wiring harness to fix what GM cheaped out on? And of course, in the case of export cars, if a car did in fact have the T84s installed from the factory, then it shouldn't be punished, right?

11. Shocks – GM factory shocks or OEM replacement shocks that have the same characteristics as the GM factory shock are permitted.
Shocks are also a wear item. If somebody goes to their local parts store and buys lower cost shocks, should they be punished?

Here are some examples of visible modifications (note that this list is not all inclusive): Bowtie (colored or illuminated), cross flags, any aftermarket emblems, side script or body side molding delete or change, tires other than stock size, wheels other than stock size and finish, headers or any aftermarket exhaust, any SEO or 9C1 additions to a Impala SS or any Impala SS additions to a Caprice or 9C1, aftermarket carpet and/or floor mats, non-OEM brake calipers and/or rotors (painted or not), suspension modifications, stereo systems, smooth bumper covers, aftermarket spoiler, aftermarket or custom hood or custom seats, aftermarket chrome, billet, anodized, or polished aluminum pieces, vinyl tape, decals, stripes, simple vinyl or painted on pinstripes up to ¼” in height with plain ends.
I also have a question about the wheels. Naturally these get the occasional curb rash. If we go far enough to strip the clear coat, smooth out the damage, then re-clear the wheels, will we have any problems with judging?

Does polishing a stock metal part hurt with the points?

Another wear item is the rotors. When these need to be replaced, what do we have to do to keep them "stock"? As long as they are the factory size and have the hats painted black for impalas, they are legal, right?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I would suggest e-mailing Larry Hall direct ,ISSCA Director and Head Show Car Judge.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I contacted Larry for you.You should be receiving an answer soon.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I can answer most of this.....

1. V-rated tires are NOT considered Z-rated, but rather would be "substandard" here. V is a lower speed rating than Z. You'll need Z-rated tires on the car for stock class, if it is an SS.

2. Exhaust : I'd see if someone else has a set of tailpipes in better condition you could get. Betcha that someone in HAIL or HOSS has a set in decent shape that they'd let go for cheap or free.

3. Windshield : either Sungate or non-Sungate is fine on a 95-96. This rule just means that a 94 in stock class can't have a Sungate (since it wasn't available OEM in that model year).

4. Wipers : as long as they look stock afterwards, you're fine. This one really means no 9C1 wipers on a non-9C1

5. Battery : you are correct

6. Spare : you are correct

7. Sidescripts : OEM are still available in all 3 colors (and the Marblehead Metallic that was never actually produced, for that matter!) from GM. So yes, you'd need stock scripts

8. Agreed they are decent, as long as you aren't throwing header heat at them ;)

9. Floormats/carpet : Actually, I believe the (fairly crappy) stock carpet IS still available from GM. It's expensive, but can be gotten. The Caddy carpet (common upgrade, since at the time it was roughly the same price but FAR better quality as stock carpet) is long discontinued. That said, I would say that a replacement carpet of stock color, stock-type quality and WITH the floormat snaps in it would count as "stock" here. I believe Tom offers such a carpet. This is just to prevent someone from throwing in a black or red carpet (in a DCM for example) and claiming they are still in stock class.

10. Headlight wiring : if you're good, you can hide the harness
. Car show is only on VISIBLE mods. And since exactly ZERO 94-96 cars left Arlington with T84s, you can't run them in stock class. Now if you have a true export 91-92 Caprice (and can prove it with the SPID) that has stock T84s (as on the SPID), then yes you should be clear with T84s.

11. Shocks : I read that to mean that replacement shocks are allowed as long as they are stock-like. In other words, NON-adjustable, no remote reservoirs, etc. Parts store shocks should qualify here. And since I believe the deCarbons are discontinued anyways, that should be a reasonable assumption here.

Wheels : as long as they LOOK stock afterwards (i.e. you repaint and reclear them in the proper spots), what you propose should be fine. That said, it might be cheaper to just buy new wheels and E-bay out the beat-up ones to some sucker who doesn't know about Dal :D

Polishing Metal : no-no in stock class. You can (and should) clean it, but it shouldn't "bling" unless it was "bling" as from Arlington. Which is to say (as far as underhood), it didn't "bling"

Brakes : stock size rotors without dimples/slots should be OK, as long as calipers are also a stock-like finish (i.e. no painted red calipers, for example).

That's my take on it....be interested to see what Larry says

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by AutocroSSer:
I think I can answer most of this.....

1. V-rated tires are NOT considered Z-rated, but rather would be "substandard" here. V is a lower speed rating than Z. You'll need Z-rated tires on the car for stock class, if it is an SS.

<snip>

9. Floormats/carpet : Actually, I believe the (fairly crappy) stock carpet IS still available from GM. It's expensive, but can be gotten. The Caddy carpet (common upgrade, since at the time it was roughly the same price but FAR better quality as stock carpet) is long discontinued. That said, I would say that a replacement carpet of stock color, stock-type quality and WITH the floormat snaps in it would count as "stock" here. I believe Tom offers such a carpet. This is just to prevent someone from throwing in a black or red carpet (in a DCM for example) and claiming they are still in stock class.
These are the two subjects I was wondering the most about.

The tires that I have on my stock rims are the BFG KDWS, so they are Z-rated. But I have had the Nitto NT450s before and they were V-rated. Z-rated just means that the tire is rated for 149+mph, right? When that designation was made, they didn't think there would be a need for better tires than that. The V-rated means it is for up to 149mph. So basically, a modern V-rated tire probably would've been Z-rated back in 1996

Pirelli, Yokohama, Kumho, Michelin, and Nitto all offer V-rated stock size SS tires.

And Tom's 1200 and 1500 series carpet both have the correct snaps and OEM color available. He said that the stock type quality would be like the old 800 series that he offered a long time ago. If my dad went with the higher quality 1500 series carpet in the OEM color to replace the old worn out stained carpet in his SS, would he be bumped out of the stock class?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm talking with Larry now on Instant Messager and he is saying Ed is right on everything.

Non Z-rated tires ARE NOT ALLOWED.

But for the carpet, as long as the carpet is the same OEM color and retains the snaps, it is legal

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got to thinking about other mods...

Are stickers considered mods also? Lots of people put club stickers and such on their windows. :confused:

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by AdioSS:
Are stickers considered mods also? Lots of people put club stickers and such on their windows. :confused:
Club Stickers such as HAIL or ISSCA stickers are perfectly legal, However, Mobil 1 or Edelbrock or MSD or any other "Performance" sticker is considered a mod.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
These are the two subjects I was wondering the most about.

The tires that I have on my stock rims are the BFG KDWS, so they are Z-rated. But I have had the Nitto NT450s before and they were V-rated. Z-rated just means that the tire is rated for 149+mph, right? When that designation was made, they didn't think there would be a need for better tires than that. The V-rated means it is for up to 149mph. So basically, a modern V-rated tire probably would've been Z-rated back in 1996

Pirelli, Yokohama, Kumho, Michelin, and Nitto all offer V-rated stock size SS tires.
Considering the variety of Z+ Rated rubber available for as cheap or cheaper than the V-Rated tires, I don't really feel this is an issue. At any rate, the available Z-Rated tires are better than the V-rated ones, when it comes to handling.

As to a V rated tire being considered Z rated if it had been made back then, it may have, but the way the ratings system is now, a Z rated tire can run all day at 150, while a V-rated one only has to be able to do 149 for a few minutes to make the grade.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by Wayne Bengston:
...while a V-rated one only has to be able to do 149 for a few minutes to make the grade.
I believe it has to be able to run a full hour loaded to make the grade, but I could be wrong.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by Whisperjet:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by AdioSS:
Club Stickers such as HAIL or ISSCA stickers are perfectly legal, However, Mobil 1 or Edelbrock or MSD or any other "Performance" sticker is considered a mod. </font>[/QUOTE]I should've just emailed Larry about this. He emailed a responce to me

1 - 15 of 15 Posts