Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to build a set of 3-way kick panels, and I need assistance figuring out ZDP. I know that ZDP is dependent upon crossover slope and design, and voice coil alignment, which I have some preliminary numbers on. What I need to know is this: when placing speakers relative to 1 wavelength (or less) at the crossover frequency, am I counting the distance from radiating-surface to radiating-surface of each driver, or driver-center to driver-center? Thanks in advance.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
you want the sound radiating all from one point. usually withing an inch of each speaker. but since you have all seperate speakers you want the sound leaving at the same time as the sound from all the other speakers. so youd have to find the alignment of the other speakers in referance to the one your working with. this usually includes putting one back farther than the others or having it up infront just a hair. it would take some time figuring out the distances but it should sound excellent afterwards.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the 1" rule isn't very accurate, although it is a good rule of thumb. You want the speakers to be no more than 1-wavelength apart at the crossover frequency. eg: 4.5" separation at 3kHz or you will have phase problems between the drivers. I need to know if that distance is between radiating surfaces, or radiating centers. as far as moving speakers back in relation to each other, you are aligning to voice coils so that you don't get any time-alignment issues. you can have all your speakers on the same plane, but you will have to build time-delay circuits to compensate for the distance between voice coil centers. steve cornell could answer this one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts