Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand the 96 LT1's have a crank position sensor as opposed to 94/95 not having them.

Can the 96 LT1 be used in a 94/95 car without modification as the pcm will not look for the sensor?

I just want to make sure before I sell my old motor to a local B-body owner without complications.

Thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a 96 rebuilt long block im puttin in my 95 and the only thing i have to change is the timing cover to the one w/o the sensor location,not sure what would happen if you left that cover on and just didnt plug anything into it but luckily the guy i bought it from had both different timing chain covers,i believe thier fairly inexpensive

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
You can keep the '96 timing cover, you just have to stick with the '96 crank snout (extension, whatever you call it.) They're also not interchangeable between '94/95 and '96.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool, so if he swaps to the 94/95 timing cover, can he use the 94/95 crank hub/snout?

I do not have a 96 crank hub for him so I'm looking for the easiest way to make it work.

Thanks for the info fellas.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
To use the 94/95 crank snout he'll either need to remove the sensor ring pressed onto the crank underneath the cover or he'll need to have the 94/95 snout machined down (and maybe rebalanced) to the length of a 96 snout. I have know no actual dimensions but somebody else might have parts lying around to measure. Either cover should work for either choice.

- Brian

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like the easiest way to make this work for him is to find a 96 crank snout. I have a couple F-body snouts laying around but they stick the balancer out too far.

If he decides to pick up the motor, I'll be on the board asking around.

Thanks for the help

Jerry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.