Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed the knock sensors to get all of the old coolant out the block but my question is do you have to use thread sealer when you reinstall them? And do you have to tighten them all the way down? It seems as if they wont turn anymore and i dont want to mess things up

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
I would say you are going to need some sort of thread sealant, teflon tape should work with out a problem, I wouldn't over tighten them as well, tighten them until you start to feel a good amount of friction and go 1/2 turn more. worst case you find that they leak when filling the coolant, but it is the lowest point in the block, so you wouldnt have all the coolant in the system.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply. i used permatex on the threads but i could only get them to screw in about half of the way. Would this cause a problem? because i read that knock sensors have something to do with detonation. Im sure they wont leak because they were really hard to screw in. Sorry for the newbie questions but this is my first lt1

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Yeah they "sense" a knock indication and PCM will retard timing thinking it is a detonation. The can pick up rocker clatter and other things, header noise etc, most of us put in a LT4 knock module which is located in the PCM to desensitize the incoming information from the knock sensors. You shouldn't have to worry about it if it is all stock.

As far as screwing in only half way, I am sure they will be fine, permatex is good as well, you should be good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts