Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I put the stock SS springs in my Caddy, I'll need an alignment, right? I've been told that I do, and that I don't... So do I??? and why??? The way I see it, and I may be wrong is this... the only part that I am disconnecting is the lower ball joint, and that has nothing to do with the front end alignment as it's not adjustable... So why would I need an alignment???? :confused:

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bill, we're not even going to disconnect the ball joint.
;)

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really Paul? Ok... I'll trust you. ;)

I'm guessing a spring compresser is involved? :D

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you change ride height of front or rear, or both, you will need an alignment. Makes no difference what you pull apart.

Because the upper control arm is shorter than the lower and change in front ride height changes the amount the front wheel tilts in/out at the top - called camber.

There could also be some change in the direction the tires face - dead front, slightly left or right - called toe. Even small changes in this will cause large wear of the tires, so this must be checked and adjusted, if needed, after ride height change.

If you change the front to rear ride height - as in raising the rear for increased rake - it will change the tilt of the front tire front to back - called caster. With this the car also should be realigned for best handling.

Bottom line - realign after changing ride height.

Terry

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To change out the front springs, you will have to disconnect either the lower ball joint or the "A" arm attaching bolts (highly recommend AGAINST this method). A spring compressor will help with removal and possibly install of the shorter springs, but it can only compress the spring a few inches.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just be careful with that spring compresser.

The dark bruise under my finger nail is almost gone from when I replaced my front springs a few months ago :(

I consider myself very lucky that's all that happened when the compresser slipped.

BOY, that hurt for a long time

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bill,

Those Caddy springs are l o n g. Your going to have to compress the poo out of em just to get em out. For what it's worth.

Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts