Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I pull out onto the main drag from my house to join all the other shleps in our morning work commute when I start to hear an odd grinding noise coming from under the hood. I turn down the radio and the noise seems to turn itself up. THEN I start to smell the smell of doom: burnt metal. So I start thinking, part the car out? Call Mike Harris for a new motor? Two for one at Frederick's Funeral Home (I was driving by it)? So I pull into a business park parking lot right after the funeral home and as the rpm's fall the car dies. Turn key; the little starter that could can't turn the motor.
So I call AAA and they send someone out. While I'm waiting I check the oil and it's good, but the ONE glimmer of hope is that it has no unusual smell.

So I get the car towed back to the house, pull the belt and the alternator is seized. AND I had a spare on the shelf. So back I went... to once again join all of the other shleps on their way to work.

The moral of the story is, invest in AA and keep a spare alternator if not in your pants, on your shelf.

Thanks for reading.

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
thats good i can't even count how many times AAA has saved my A$$.

P.S i do have an extra one just in case...:D ok commute.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
.....keep a spare alternator if not in your pants......
Gonna need some bigger pants.....

.....congrats on the save!

·
Signature Section Moderator & CrossFire Club Ambas
15,703 Posts
Glad to hear all is well.... I'm not gonna lie, I ell oh elled when you started going over the list of options for the motor.... greatness.

·
Premium Member
15,727 Posts
Sherman. You can get one with a C&R license.

·
Registered
10,948 Posts
AAA rules. Plus You get alot of discounts with that card...

I dunno about keeping a spare alt on the shelf LOL.. I like to keep them on the stores shelf untill I need one. :p:D If I had the room and $$ I would just have a complete parts car...

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
2nd time i hear about a seized alternator causing an engine to stall.

A friend of mine was cruising on the highway, chatting on his cell phone and suddenly he heard a high pitched noise. At firs he thought someone was honking at him and then out of a sudden his engine stalled. His 91 Caprice was brought to his favourite shop where they pulled the sparc plugs and tried to turn the engine by hand. It looked like nothing could turn this engine ever again. Glad he bought another 91 with a broken tranny a few months ago, so they brought this one to the shop, too and pulled both engines for a swap. As they were swapping the engine accessories the finally realized the alternator was seized so badly that it was blocking the engine.

It still amazes me. I thought the serpentine belt would rather just slip.
In the case above, the engine was probably spinning at 1800rpm as it happened.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Sherman. You can get one with a C&R license.

you're starting to take this gun thing a little to serious. i guess liberals ARE right and the next thing you you'll think is it's your right to own an atom bomb.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Generators FTW. My buddy locked a generator, it tore up the belt, we drove it home, and replaced the generator :)

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
you're starting to take this gun thing a little to serious. i guess liberals ARE right and the next thing you you'll think is it's your right to own an atom bomb.
If it's over 50 years old we can get it on our C&R's. cwm4cwm4cwm4cwm4
I'd rather have the Sherman though, you can have more fun driving off road, over cars, through houses.....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts