Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a "mail order" tune running on the rich side (air/fuel is 12.4) the smog legal Heads/Cam set up pulled:

350.47 HP/349.94 TQ

52mm TB, Edelbrock headers, CATS w/ 2 1/2" Dynomax with resonators, 91 octane, belt on.

Heads are ported LT1 aluminum with 2.02/1.60 Ferrea valves, Comp 987 springs, 214/220 (.566int/.547 exh) custom grind Comp cam.

Prior to the heads/cam swap: 266 HP/318 TQ

With air/fuel adjust, ported MAF...there is definitely more :)

Race Prep said "you will get 100 HP more with this set-up"....they were right.

Roger

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Noel:

Went yesterday, did not see your video.

Those were peak #'s. We went back and Tad did a running valve adjustment. Raised the HP & TQ +5 across the band. After 5700 we saw the line breaking up. Those 875 R's are touchy. My static adjustment was about 1/8 turn to tight. Tad did the running adjustment and BINGO, more power across the pull. Other data recorded showed I am chocking at the intake side by 2" of pressure. Ported MAF (new TB is on the way) and air/fuel adjustment by Ed should make this a 360/360 car VERY easily.

TQ curve is FLAT. Makes great TQ from 2500-5500 RPM.

As you know, Race Prep's dyno is on the "conservative" side. I am very happy with the numbers. Track will show the real deal but high 12's in good weather, definitely 13.0-1 with trap speed 104+ is in the bag.

Jeff WILL BE my bitch again.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tad nailed the valve lash. They are not noisy at all. You hear injector and RR, that's it.

Damn nice video Noel.

I did send the data to Ed for "comments".

Once Race Prep (Tad) gets all the OBD2 software, I am in for some "dyno tuning". There is more in this car hands down.

Roger

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by BALLSS:
Track will show the real deal but high 12's in good weather, definitely 13.0-1 with trap speed 104+ is in the bag.
Based on what I ran last year...and my HP/TQ numbers I made on the dyno 2 weeks ago...you'll be a good deal faster than 104...unless your car is HEAVY.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Mike454SS:
Based on what I ran last year...and my HP/TQ numbers I made on the dyno 2 weeks ago...you'll be a good deal faster than 104...unless your car is HEAVY.
That's what I thought. My car dynoed consistently over 360 rwhp twice but cannot trap above 105 mph. I do have an external amp, jack, tire, a toolbox and undercarpet sound proofing. However, it seems that most guys who trap 108-111 mph do it lightened cars, cold weather with no belt, intake icing, etc.

I think that low 13 @ 104-105 mph is an accurate prediction.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mike:

faster would be nice. Car should weigh 4400 lbs. Don't know if it is lighter with the T56

Ed wright just emailed me back after seeing my data. He said another 6-8HP is no issue by leaning it out. he was surprised in was that rich. He really stands by his work and would have nailed it if he had the car on his dyno.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Roger,
Good to see you out at Race-Prep.

Others
I can't express how clean Rogers car is. The t56 heads / cam package engine dress, gears every other mod is like the factory did it. The car doesn't rumbe rattle or shake. This car is very sleeper and very clean and passes our California Emmisions, Sniffer / Plugin / Roller / VISUAL!

Compaired to my rummbly aggressive driving car Roger has carved out a really nice ride for himself. And his Torque curve is very flat and way rightious.

TAD

TAD

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Heads are ported LT1 aluminum with 2.02/1.60 Ferrea valves, Comp 987 springs, 214/220 (.566int/.547 exh) custom grind Comp cam.
Since you spent the extra money for Ferrea, why not get the right size valves (2.00/1.56) and get even better flow?

Regardless, I bet it's a lot more fun to drive! :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by stumpy:
Since you spent the extra money for Ferrea, why not get the right size valves (2.00/1.56) and get even better flow?

Regardless, I bet it's a lot more fun to drive! :D
2.02/1.60 do not flow worse than 2.00/1.56 in LT1 heads with stock seats. They are just slightly heavier. You can find them for 1/2 the price of the 2.00/1.56 valves since they are VERY common.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Roger your car is the shiznet. But there is no way in hell that you will beat my bucket.

Please continue to hold onto the dress.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Roger;

Saw the email with the dyno sheet and the pic too. Congrats man. That 6-speed must be a blast to drive, I hope you are properly snotting her and showing her who the boss is.

Hey, how come Joe and Brian look so cool and hip and you look like a 70 year old fart? Oh wait, it's because you ARE a 70 year old fart. And make sure next time they take a pic your toupe is fully glued down ok?

Where was Notorious T.A.D. during all the excitement? Was he out checking for loose wheels?

BTW, the Race Prep creation in the KK is doing very nicely, there should be some news shortly on that whole situation.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very great #'s for the mild emission cam. The 6 speed might be helping a lil compared to the A4 #'s but still, those are great #'s for ANY emissions set up.

I am sure it makes LOTS of TQ and pulls hard.

Race Prep sems to offer some good stuff from what I have seen.

The 2.02/1.60's are less $$$ but the 2.00/1.56 valves do fit the heads a lil better. I doubt if there is much power difference between them though. I just explain the difference and let the customer decide what we use.

If you machine the stock seat as large as posible, the 2.00/1.56 valves can seal at the very edge of the valve. If you use the 2.02/1.60's, you can not machine the seats any larger, you are just placing a larger valve in front of the same valve job. You are not helping flow ANY but you are not hurting much either (2-4 cfm at .600 lift).

Either way the car will fly, You just save $50 to maybe $100 bucks if using the 2.02/1.60's depending on brand.

Nice car. I have never seen a 6 speed Impy.

Lloyd Elliott

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Where was Notorious T.A.D. during all the excitement?
As usual, I'm the man behind the camera, laptop, wrench or wheel. I have gigs and gigs of footage and I'm in almost none of the pics or vids....

TAD

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LLOYD:

I would have to defer to Race Prep on "why" they chose to use 2.02/1.60 valves. The head flow #'s are:

intake @.600 lift = 280.8
exhaust @.600 = 175.8

I brought in used LT1 aluminum heads with new 1.94/1.50 valves for them to "check out" and do a "street" port job and was going to put in a 845 cam. Race Prep recommended this path and said it would net 100 HP. Their "street" port job was generous.

The valves are "edge to edge" but do seat all the way in the head.

BK:

You loud mouth ***. Tad was taking the pic so he ain't in it. Old???, you were the one who pussed out when I came to NY a few weeks ago to hang out. Some BS about your roof not being on or something. BTW, Tad would have shown a wider shot but my friend with the double D's was....busy at the time :). That girl loves a audience...or did you not notice my grin.

Jeff:

I have your cum stained dress to hand back on the 26th. 30 + more HP and 40+ more TQ is a tall order for your car to pull away from. 1st I will bitch slap you at the tree, wave as your nose just catches up to my door because of the 3600 stall you have burning up the tranny and then you will have a great view of my new liscense plate "6BALLSS". (request went through the DMV computer, lets see if it gets past the plate Nazi).

Tad:

Thanks for the kudos. I have worked very hard to keep the car clean and have every mod look like it "belongs" on the car.

PCM is going back to Ed for tweaks. He is making timeing adjustments you refered to as well as A/F.

Car will be a 360/360 in full street trim.

Roger

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
....and then you will have a great view of my new liscense plate "6BALLSS"....
That should get a LOT of attention from the ladies
! They'll think that you're some kind of mutant or somethin'

They'll be wonderin'; "[email protected] he's got six balls.....what else is he packin'...."

BTW....Great Numbers :D :cool: !!!!

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
KW:

Most likely the plate will get denied.

I have tried:

BALLSS
BALLSS6

and now 6BALLSS

so far all I get is these letters from the DMV "Mr Ball, we regret we can not....."

Now the 1st 2 are in their computer as a definate NO NO.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Race Prep probably has a recipe for that valve in the LT1 heads. Like I said i use them too.

The 2.00's do seal at the edge of teh valve on an LT1 stock seat but the 2.02 only has .001 on each side hanging over. Some place an extra angle here amd some just like to use a 2.02 because the slight overhand will show up when "reverse flowing" the intake port and cuts down on how much flow goes "UP" the intake port during overlap.

As I mentioned, Some prefer the 2.02's for these reasons and some just like to save some $$$. Both are legit reasons.

Lloyd Elliott
972-617-5671
Eportworks.com

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.