Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Race-Prep announces the arrival of the largest displacement LS(X) engine on the planet! With the capability of producing up to 500ci displacement, this engine will be capable of DOMINATING the competition. Based on the extrordinary sucess of our previous 445ci builds, Power figures can be expected to be in the 700+HP range for a pump gas setup and the sky is the limit for a racing style engine, preliminary estimates put the race engine in the 850+HP range. The engine is modified for the displacement by ERL Performance, a very reputable and reliable designer and builder of deck plate systems and components. All parts are CAD designed and computer engineered to be reliable and provide many many thousands of miles of service in your street or race car. Race Prep is offering to its customers and the public a chance to be the first to obtain this level of performance from a streetable powerplant like this. We have been granted a distributorship from ERL based on our outstanding customer service and production of only the finest engines over the past four years. Race-Prep is very proud to be in this small number of companies selected as distributors by ERL as they hand picked only the best and most trustworthy companies in the LS(X) industry. The proposed engine build would consist of a "no holds barred" type of build where Race-Prep would be allowed full reign of the project (consulting with the customer of course) to achieve a level of performance never before produced by an LS(X) engine. Race-Prep assures the chosen customer the utmost power production for the application along with supreme streetability if chosen for a street car. If you want to get in on this, please call Race-Prep for details @ 760-200-5155 or E-mail us at [email protected]. We are anxious to start this project and be the first to deliver the awesome power of 500ci of LS(X)!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Race-Prep:
Race-Prep to produce 500ci LS1 based engine for a lucky customer!!
How 'lucky' are we talking about???

'Lucky' as in......free? As in........contest?

Just wondering
!

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have to ask...

Hey Tad, how are my Race Prep valve covers coming along for my kickass Race Prep 383?

Tell Brian and Joe that RACE PREP goes in my sig as soon as the RACE PREP valve covers go on the engine. :D

I saw the RP valve covers Noel had and now I have valve cover envy!

BTW, I am a bit short of cash so just put me down for 5 of those 500" blocks ok?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gee.... zuss...

You say it's LS1 based, the pamphlet says LS2. Which is it? Just curious since they are two different blocks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm surprised it has taken the domestic market this long to do this... This has been a fairly common modification for high-end import motors for years.

BTW- in case you guys didn't already know this, Jud has already hit the 850hp mark with only 427ish cid and LS6 heads. I can only imagine the power potential for a 500cid C5R/C6R/LS7 headed monster. I'd say that it would be possible to hit the 4 digit mark naturally aspirated :D :eek:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bill,
I will remind the boys about the valve covers!!
How's the blower car motor holding up against your Karma? Do you have a web site yet! Where can I get stats,et, modlist and points standings on the Big Kahuna Race Fleet?

AdioSS,
Jud S. A. M. , Mallet and Race-Prep comprise the short list of organizations receiving the first of the 500CI LSX engines.

college slacker
The block can be made of either a LS1 or LS2 core. The motor pictured above is LS2 based. ERL seems to lean towards the higher quality LS2 block.

As of now it seems the engine can be setup for any LSX style head. Including WORLD's new 12deg LSX head.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
buffman,

please forward your address and other contact info so we can discuss shipping on your free 500ci LSX short block

I figure If I make your wildest day dreams come true Mallet will send me a heads and cam LS2 Solstice for free, and we can all die happy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by ProTools4:
buffman,

please forward your address and other contact info so we can discuss shipping on your free 500ci LSX short block................I figure If I make your wildest day dreams come true Mallet will send me a heads and cam LS2 Solstice for free, and we can all die happy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bill,
I will remind the boys about the valve covers!!
How's the blower car motor holding up against your Karma? Do you have a web site yet! Where can I get stats,et, modlist and points standings on the Big Kahuna Race Fleet?
Karma doing well. The blower car won Best of ISSCA this year after kicking some butt in the auto-X, the road course, the drag strip, and the car show. As far as racing, I have missed a bunch of races this year due to family stuff (mostly little league and PAL football) so I have one shot left to defend my championship on November 19 at E-Town. Check here www.ecirs.org

My Race Prep motor kicks ass. It has been thrashed a lot and as you know, I recently sent my latest oil filter back to Joe and Brian and Joe told me it was one of the cleanest oil filters he ever saw.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Bill

PS: GET ME SOME VALVE COVERS!!! Actually, I don't know why I am bitching about it, I have some nice polished MOROSO covers now, but I wanted to help the boys get the word out since there is already an AREA 51 TB Plate on there. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
buffman,

please forward your address and other contact info so we can discuss shipping on your free 500ci LSX short block

I figure If I make your wildest day dreams come true Mallet will send me a heads and cam LS2 Solstice for free, and we can all die happy.
didnt you get that letteR? they already sent you that solstice last week..

Matt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by BIG KAHUNA ****e:
PS: GET ME SOME VALVE COVERS!!! Actually, I don't know why I am bitching about it, I have some nice polished MOROSO covers now, but I wanted to help the boys get the word out since there is already an AREA 51 TB Plate on there. :D
You mean like these Billy!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I heard that Chrysler copied much of the LS1 design when building their new HEMI. Does anyone know if this is accurate? Just found that interesting. From what I understand, most automakers take from Chevy designs for their own V8s.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Glen, there are a few areas that are quite similar, but if you go back far enough, there are some parts of the LS1 that copy the old Hemis and Magnum motors.

I just did some figuring and I'm gonna guesstimate what it's gonna take to get 500ish cid from these motors. Last year Darton released a version of their big bore sleeves that are good up to 4.200 inches, so using that as the max bore, you'd need a 4.500" stroke to get 498.8cid which is close enough to be called 500"
I knew that it was possible to get 470ish cid with the big bore, but dang! :eek: Obviously a small base circle cam is required and special rods, but I'm surprised they can fit that much stroke in a small block! Eventhough Sonny did that years ago...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hmmm, this would go nice in the Vette
Looks like a great platform to build some monster power. This puppy with some well ported AFR heads and a big solid roller cam could be monsterous on power. I've done a few 427 CI LS1's that have done 550 RWHP so 600 RWHP or more (over 700 crank HP)is obtainable for sure.
Only note about this post though is that is has all the looks of an advertisement and is posted in a forum that is sponsored and paid for by another sponsor who also builds engines. While Chad at Golen is not doing LS1 stuff yet, I know they have stuff in the works. I'm not trying to be Mr. Picky or anything, but I did want to point that out. If I am wrong just let me know guys and I will remove this post.
Bryan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by ÃÐïا§:
Glen, there are a few areas that are quite similar, but if you go back far enough, there are some parts of the LS1 that copy the old Hemis and Magnum motors.
Can you be more specific? Copying a 30 year old design is one thing, copying a new design is completely different.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by ÃÐïا§:

I just did some figuring and I'm gonna guesstimate what it's gonna take to get 500ish cid from these motors. Last year Darton released a version of their big bore sleeves that are good up to 4.200 inches, so using that as the max bore, you'd need a 4.500" stroke to get 498.8cid which is close enough to be called 500"
I knew that it was possible to get 470ish cid with the big bore, but dang! :eek: Obviously a small base circle cam is required and special rods, but I'm surprised they can fit that much stroke in a small block! Eventhough Sonny did that years ago...
That thing must have some extreme rod angles with a 4.5 inch stroke. That would worry me a bit as far as longevity is concerned, although that isn't what you buy an engine like that for.

LSX style engines are absolutely amazing. If only they were an easy swap into our B-bodies. These newer big-cube LSx motors produce some huge torque numbers at low rpm, that be great in our heavy cars.

Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
this sounds great and all.but where does it end 500 cubes 900h.p is awesome,but if you intend to drive it on the street more than once in a while these are overkill.if you are going to go dragracing then there awesome.the ls1 is definitely the way of the future.but how much is an 500ci ls1-ls2 going to cost with all forged internals,custom headers,custom exhaust,pcm,etc,etc.i am intigued about this maybe in the future for my 68 convt camaro,but i will stick with the lt1 in the ss.
paul.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.