Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, have 96 Fleetwood and Roadmaster Sedan both with factory clutched mechanical fan and fluid cooler connections. I haven’t confirmed but assuming identical in every way right now.

They both have failure in left end tank. Any recommendations or warnings for either factory plastic aluminum replacements or all aluminum or other aftermarket?

hvac fine in the Cadillac but Buick has no ac engagement or cooling I assume from low refrigerant so it doesn’t trigger the compressor. My guess is if not faulty in some way it is most likely bad from a leak past seal developed from sitting. It was the previous owners deceased dads car they inherited and I thjnk it sat in garage a lot.

any know particular areas they are known to leak or suggestions for bringing them back? I’m gonna go in and have charged with refrig and see what happens but would rather not go in blind.

T

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
Wow, super restraint there registered 1 1/2 years and just now your first post! Welcome.

Yes, forward upper left side crack on my FWB last Fall, I ordered this = plop n drop:

If you've got a positive pressure left at all, then Plan B is simply get a fill hose kit with a gauge and top it off yourself. If zero charge then Plan A is simply research for a well-reviewed local A/C house (NOT a dealer) and service the whole system including all the special pieces, - rec. de-hyd., orif. tube, blah blah. And even with Plan A of course check for some pressure so you can cut them off at the pass for trying afterward with the, "we found a leak so we had to replace a lot more parts".

·
Registered
130 Posts
I suspect the cooling systems are the same, but you can compare part numbers to ensure that here: cadillac.7zap.com and buick.7zap.com.

I do not have the mechanical fans, but I installed the Liland Global all-aluminum radiator in my Impala several years ago. It fit well and has worked well. I started a thread on here. I recommend it if you can find the one that fits your application.

Regarding the A/C, there are many things that can prevent it from running. I like to start with an electrical inspection. You can learn a lot about the status of your system from the Compressor Checks in this writeup: Auto Air Conditioner Blowing Warm Air, Not Cooling. I agree with Black about topping it off to see what you have. If it works after you add a can, then consider buying a set of A/C gages from Harbor Freight. Comparing the low and high side pressures to a temperature/pressure chart will help you determine what you need to do next.

You can check the Schrader valves for leaks with soapy water, but a can of dye will make any leak glow using a black light. Common places for leaks are the Schrader valves, the hose on the passenger side that rubs on the upper A-arm, and the compressor body itself. The best way to determine if the system is sealed is to connect a vacuum pump to it and see if it will hold vacuum for at least 30 minutes. They are relatively cheap at Harbor Freight and work well.

If you decide to just take it to a shop, watch a couple youtube videos on A/C troubleshooting and repair so you have an idea what to expect. Good A/C work is not cheap, and cheap A/C work is usually not good, I learned that the first time I had a 'tech' fix mine at his house. Cost me hundreds of dollars in parts after I got the car back from him. That is when I decided to learn how to do it myself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright guys make sense. I have enough vehicles to invest in the equipment mentioned. I’ll use your advice and my pretty good automotive common sense to ‘get there from here’ I’ll report back. Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts