Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello! What are the dimensions of the finned part of the stock radiator? Currently away from my car, and I'm trying to see if the fan I want to buy will fit. I have a 91 Caprice, although I think the dimensions are the same from 91-96.
Thanks!

·
Registered
11,295 Posts
2 14"s will fit easily, 2 15"s are tight. 1 15" fits easily. 2 16"s are a little oversize. You need a relay, and fuse, or circuit breaker for the fan(s). You can use the same type relay as is used for the fuel pump or antenna. You also need a sensor to turn it on. Power can come from the red junction block on the right wheelhouse, and you can ground it at the fender by the battery where the battery ground attaches, or on the engine. I have electric fans on my 91 and 92 OCCs. Pretty simple to install. I made a shroud, and installed the fans on it. I made a seal between the fans, because they are different CFM ratings. My 92 OCC has the fans from a 93 Fleetwood with the corresponding upper and lower mounts, relays, and connectors. I use a Spectre thermostat housing with a bung for a temp sensor and a switch to turn them on. It grounds the relay(s). I also have a three relay system to turn one on with the AC, and both at a preset temp.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the wiring figured out.
I've been wanting to put the fan from a 90's F0rd Taurus.
My dad put one on his 65' Chevelle and it blows so hard, that it seems like its sucking the road up. They also have a rectangular built-in shroud.

·
Registered
11,295 Posts
Whatever is adequate for your cooling needs will work. I did what worked easiest for my cars. I have a 2800 cfm fan on one side, and an 1500 cfm fan on the other. I can turn them on at any temp that I want. The 2800 cfm unit really blasts the air. I might not even need the 1500 cfm one, but I have it for backup.

The Fleetwood fans are more than sufficient for the 350 in my 92. With AC you need to have a really good fan, or two fans that can take care of the condensor.

The nice thing about using a shroud is that the fan can not touch the radiator core. There are some pluses and minuses for a full shroud. The fan can limit the air going through the radiator if the shroud does not have blow through panels. If you have two fans, you can shut one down to allow air to blow through.A lot of cars will shut the fans off over 40-50 mph.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts