Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking for a kit of radiator hoses and i dont want to spend alot. I dont wanna spend the money on samco hoses and cant find the goodyear ones anymore. Looking for black if possible. If i have to spend the money i will. Post some links if possible. Thanks guys

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
also had another question I just installed a new water pump and new thermostat. the housing for the thermostat is leaking a little bit but its odd because it only leaks when the engine is cool. I know it doesnt call for a gasket but could i use a bit of rtv. also does the gasket on the thermostat expand when the engine gets warm causing it to seal?

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
It is a 'different' sort of housing compared to gen 1's. My new stat leaked on the first install, when I took it out you could see where the stat wasn't quite centered and that little gasket was not perfectly round .....be VERY careful when you tighted it down, it doesn't take much AT ALL to warp the housing. I just snugged the bolt's down until I thought it would take another 1/4 turn to finish it and then DID NOT turn them that 1/4 turn....hasn't leaked since.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread but is the one link from Summit the same kit? Has anyone bought/used this kit?

I'd prefer keeping the hoses black or red but the price range is right.

·
Registered
586 Posts
are those summit radiator hoses also used for heater hoses as well? sorry for dumb question :)

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread but is the one link from Summit the same kit? Has anyone bought/used this kit?

I'd prefer keeping the hoses black or red but the price range is right.
I've installed them on a friend's Impala a while back, and they seem to serve the purpose. The only issue I've seen is that over the years, is that they have discolored some.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
are those summit radiator hoses also used for heater hoses as well? sorry for dumb question :)
If I remember right, every hose you need is in the kit, except for the one that goes from the bottom of the coolant tank to the heater hose.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
If I remember right, every hose you need is in the kit, except for the one that goes from the bottom of the coolant tank to the heater hose.
The Goodyear blue hose kit has all the hoses including that one. Good time to also install a new "T" and flow restictor.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Thanks for the help guys, I just ordered these from SUMMIT. (Other link was dead) I'm hoping this and replacing the water pump helps. I currently have coolant leaking out of just about every hole on the water pump. (I forgot to use thread sealant :()

Also doesn't help that the coolant was probably NEVER changed for the first 16 years of this car life. Just bought the car in July and flushed system. Then the leaks came....

The current hoses have about an 1/8" to 1/4" of crap on them... Looks like a clogged arteries... I'm also going to take the time to flush out the heater core (Again) and radiator and get as much of that crap out of there as I can. I'll take pics so people can see what they look like.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Hoses came in the mail today *(VERY QUICK SHIPPING! ordered on Monday (today was Wednesday))

I took a couple of pics of them for those who wanted to see. Looking forward to putting them on soon and a new waterpump.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
I've installed them on a friend's Impala a while back, and they seem to serve the purpose. The only issue I've seen is that over the years, is that they have discolored some.
X2 on that. Put them on my car about a year ago and they have discolored to a lighter shade of Blue almost have a yellowish color to them. NAISSO sells a Hy-Miler kit which includes the fitting and restrictor as well.

I wouldn't recommend re-using your old T and restrictor, pick up new ones as these get brittle with time. If you decide to try and reuse them you will need to cut off the metal crimps from the old hoses. there is a post out here somewhere about doing this. Good luck with the install and be sure to flush out the heater core while you're at it.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I really like th Goodyear Hi-Miler kit. Has all of the needed hoses for a reasonable price. I'm on my second kit with my car. I replace all of the hoses when I do the tune-up/water pump, that way I know that everything will be in good shape for the next 100k. This last time (a couple of months ago), I also ordered Summit's hose clamp kit. I very much like these. All stainless construction, and the clamps have an internal band, so the hoses won't extrude through the slots in the clamp. If you decide to go this route with the clamps, order the kit, plus you will need 6 additional small clamps for all of the heater hose/tank connections. As was previously stated, the hoses do discolor over time, but I don't really care, as long as they work.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I never liked these hoses from day 1. They came covered in stickers that were nearly impossible to remove completely. Some didn't fit well. They discolored quickly to an awful faded blue/yellow.

Watch your heater hoses. They have slack and will melt on your headers or get sliced by your belt if not properly tied up somewhere.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I had no problem getting the stickers off and I would say the radiator hoses fit extremely well. The only hoses I had to cut was some of the heater hoses to the wp. There are a few clamps most importantly the one by the alt that helps keep the hoses off of the belt.

I never liked these hoses from day 1. They came covered in stickers that were nearly impossible to remove completely. Some didn't fit well. They discolored quickly to an awful faded blue/yellow.

Watch your heater hoses. They have slack and will melt on your headers or get sliced by your belt if not properly tied up somewhere.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I had no problem getting the stickers off and I would say the radiator hoses fit extremely well. The only hoses I had to cut was some of the heater hoses to the wp. There are a few clamps most importantly the one by the alt that helps keep the hoses off of the belt.
Yup, you can trim and tie up as appropriate. I just wanted to give a warning. Nonetheless, they still discolored and look like poop. :(

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
so far *knock on wood* there are no leaks at the waterpump or any of the hoses and that to me is PRICELESS

1 - 19 of 19 Posts